Buck beds in the morning, how early to setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Re: Buck beds in the morning, how early to setup

Unread postby Elite » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 am

I put the boots on and scouted from about 9am until 12:30 trying to find the big 10s bed. I located 3 buck beds in the lower 1/3 of a ridge that runs along the creek. One of those beds had a big track, but given the snow is melting, I couldn't put a ton of stake in it. But the beds were fresh and so were the turds. My assumption is these beds would be for a northerly wind. The could look across the creek and see anything coming from the road. As I got to the top of the ridge I found a huge, semi fresh rub that is facing south (the 3 beds I found were south of this rub about 60-70 yards away).

I then found a bed about 30 yards from this huge rub, up against a huge pine that is surrounded by 3 pine trees. There's a big, old rub on one of the pines but not of similar size to the other rub. It looked like does and fawns were using this bed on a westerly wind. I couldn't verify trails coming out of this bed because there were tracks everywhere. I pulled cards before I went scouting and the 10 wasn't on there. We haven't had any west winds since 12/21 so that didn't surprise me that he was absent. I'm assuming this could be his bed in the pines as it looked worn and secure. Would does use a buck bed?

With not being able to identify trails, I decided to hang the stand 75 yards to the south of this bed. The stand is within 25 yards of the 3 buck beds I found and I'm still able to see the bed in the pines. I will have to wait a couple days for the right wind and then head in there.

The two pictures are views from what I believe is his bed. Here is the topo map from the scouting I did. I yellowed out stand icons so it wouldn't be confusing. The stand icon is where I just hung a set. The buck icon is the bed I found in the pines. No changing terrain features, just thick brush.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elite
500 Club

Re: Buck beds in the morning, how early to setup

Unread postby Elite » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:23 pm

Bump for any additional comments.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”