Last Minute Advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Last Minute Advice

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:57 am

I have seen a shooter buck on public at the exact same time and at the same place for the last 3 days in a row now. I say “shooter” but maybe a decent 8 point for me is a better way of describing him. I plan to check on him again after work today but tomorrow afternoon is my first opportunity to hunt him. It’s a 2 ¾ mile walk in from the parking lot and there are not a lot of mature trees to set up in, so I plan to hunt from the ground. This deer is travelling in an area where he has pinched himself between an open water marsh and a busy road, so I am confident on his travel path if this warm weather doesn’t change things up on me.

I have been doing some cyber scouting as I have never stepped foot in the area, and I have located where I believe he is bedded based on the direction I see him walking. The only cover I can see from the map is a very small grouping of dogwood or maybe sumac trees.

Any last-minute advice for someone that plans to hunt from the ground? I am assuming I should be ready for a stalk if the deer decides not to cooperate with his current travel path, so I am looking for any suggestions that you think might help.
Thanks!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
PK_
500 Club

Re: Last Minute Advice

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 am

Milkweed your way in and Factor in the thermal shift.

Sit still.

If there is a small limb to hang the bow close to the ready position on where you expect the shot that can be huge if cover is minimal. Getting caught with the bow out of position on the ground can be game over.

Other than that just keep it simple and don’t over think it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:27 am

PK_ wrote:Milkweed your way in and Factor in the thermal shift.

Sit still.

If there is a small limb to hang the bow close to the ready position on where you expect the shot that can be huge if cover is minimal. Getting caught with the bow out of position on the ground can be game over.

Other than that just keep it simple and don’t over think it.

Oh man, this is gold! Thanks so much!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pm

You've probably also already thought about it but glass as far ahead as you can and glass again. Also some ppl say to go with the wind in your face but my thinking is go perpendicularly or slightly off perpendicular to where you think the buck is bedded. That way if he's bedded with wind to back and overlooking the open, you can try and sneak in there.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:54 am

Well, I did almost everything right accept sit still. I heard turkeys behind me and started filming them with my phone and this is when the buck decided to show itself. Of course, it noticed my movement and took off. Had I sat still, I would have had a 20 yard broadside opportunity. I learned a valuable lesson this day.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:45 am

NorthStar wrote:Well, I did almost everything right accept sit still. I heard turkeys behind me and started filming them with my phone and this is when the buck decided to show itself. Of course, it noticed my movement and took off. Had I sat still, I would have had a 20 yard broadside opportunity. I learned a valuable lesson this day.

Good news, you put the pieces of the puzzle together and were in the right place at the right time. Good job.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:16 am

Catch and release
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:28 am

JShea wrote:Catch and release

Ha! I am getting pretty good at this tactic!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:24 am

NorthStar wrote:Well, I did almost everything right accept sit still. I heard turkeys behind me and started filming them with my phone and this is when the buck decided to show itself. Of course, it noticed my movement and took off. Had I sat still, I would have had a 20 yard broadside opportunity. I learned a valuable lesson this day.

Lol. You are not the first person to blow an encounter by messing around with turkeys. They sure can be distracting :lol:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:28 am

if you can setup about 50 yards closer in the next few days you can probably kill him.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:42 am

Bucks sometimes use other animals for security....younger bucks, turkeys, even foxes.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”