Orientation of stand to the trail

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trapper71

Orientation of stand to the trail

Unread postby Trapper71 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:25 am

Dan talked about this in one of his videos... Hanging the stand in a manner that the tree trunk is between you and the bedded buck compared to having the stand on the same side of the tree as the bedded buck. I understand you will have to stand but for a late afternoon/evening hunt the time won't be too bad. The spot I'm targeting has minimal foliage so I'm trying to reduce the chances of being picked off once the deer starts coming down the trail..

Anyone else tried this and how well did it work with a stand, not in a saddle?

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Orientation of stand to the trail

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:38 am

If I’m set up for the deer to come in behind me. My ideal set up would be for the buck to come around my tree behind from my left side (since I am right handed).

You need to weigh your options. Facing away provides more cover but it increases the chance of a buck sneaking up on you, it can require more movement when the deer is coming in and it can make the shot impossible or more difficult.
Trapper71

Unread postby Trapper71 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:18 am

Jdw wrote:If I’m set up for the deer to come in behind me. My ideal set up would be for the buck to come around my tree behind from my left side (since I am right handed).

You need to weigh your options. Facing away provides more cover but it increases the chance of a buck sneaking up on you, it can require more movement when the deer is coming in and it can make the shot impossible or more difficult.

I should have been more specific. I don't plan on sitting on the seat, it will be folded up and I will be standing with the tree between me and the deer. Ideally I want the tree to be just off to the left of the trail so the deer will pass on my right side. I'm fairly confident in the direction of travel they will be coming from a marsh point into the timber.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:21 am

Last year's buck I was facing the complete wrong way.

I knew where the bedding was. I was AT the dropping acorn food source.

I set up backwards for a couple reasons. Doe bedding is the OTHER direction. The direction I was facing. A lot of times, doe and small bucks come out of that WAY early. I didn't wanna get pegged by them. Ultimately I wanted to face north or south so I could watch both bedding areas to my east and west.... problem was the tree I wanted to be in was only huntable facing the west towards the doe bedding.

I was caught like a big dumbie over an hour before dark...sitting down, bow in the holder and I heard the classic single twig snap under a deers foot....behind me.

I cautiously stood and turned and scanned 20-40yds behind me and didn't see the source of the noise. As I was starting to slink back into my seat, I realized I was looking at a shooter buck within 10yds and feeding towards my tree.

The tree is the ONLY reason I was able to pull off the shot. I was able to grab the bow and get my release on with him never seeing anything. I watched his movements and he started to break to my left. I got turned around completely, put my left knee on the seat and leaned out at full draw. Shot was nearly straight down as he was eating acorns completely unaware I was up there...

I was on the low end of 3 sticks.

Biggest failure was me not seeing him till he was literally within 10yds. I just didn't expect a shooter to come out THAT early. Typically it's closer to dark...had I been facing the right way, I'd likely seen him way sooner and been ready. But, the tree definitely helped me make up for my stand placement....
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Trapper71 wrote:
Jdw wrote:If I’m set up for the deer to come in behind me. My ideal set up would be for the buck to come around my tree behind from my left side (since I am right handed).

I should have been more specific. I don't plan on sitting on the seat, it will be folded up and I will be standing with the tree between me and the deer. Ideally I want the tree to be just off to the left of the trail so the deer will pass on my right side. I'm fairly confident in the direction of travel they will be coming from a marsh point into the timber.

Sounds like you need a saddle
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:37 am

I try and "climb" the tree with the tree between me and the suspected buck bed. However, once I hang the stand I do it slowly an with planned movements. I like to be facing the direction I think the buck will be coming in.

Since I struggle with hearing loss, I prefer using my eyes all I can
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:52 am

Trapper71 wrote:

Not to hijack, but since I started setting up for seated shots, I'm never going back. Sitting and turned to the side (less head/shoulder outline) there is less movement and the deer don't recognize you as human as easily.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:49 am

I like to face where the deer is coming from. I can't hear em so I have to see them. It does get nerve wracking when deer are walking straight at me and just standing there chewing cud - feels like they are looking into my eyes when they have no idea...

Another thing is to set off to the side a little - instead of right on the trail, say 10-15 yards off to the side... Allows for more movement and a better broadside shot.
Trapper71

Unread postby Trapper71 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:18 am

raisins wrote:
Trapper71 wrote:

Not to hijack, but since I started setting up for seated shots, I'm never going back. Sitting and turned to the side (less head/shoulder outline) there is less movement and the deer don't recognize you as human as easily.

I have been practicing in the seated position with the stand a couple of feet off of the ground and it makes for a nice steady shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”