Late season warm front

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Late season warm front

Unread postby DhD » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:54 am

Stopped feeling sorry for myself and got after moving cameras around and finding late season food sources. I've already got a few deer on camera moving out to cut corn, but we have a warm front coming in that will last most of the rest of late season. I know this can change what they are feeding on, any tips for tracking down late season deer during a warm front?

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
swhughes81

Re: Late season warm front

Unread postby swhughes81 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:46 pm

I have heard and personally seen them switch back to a green food source like clover or alfalfa
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:52 pm

I wonder how much of that depends on snow depth. Muzzeloader season we had about 5 inches of snow and i noticed even in the fridged cold the dug for acorns over yhe corn fields. I thinking that was due to acorns be higher nutrition value. But now we have 10+ inches of snow and no digging going on anymore and everything is going to corn.

I wonder if snow depth plays a part in it as well as the temp.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:08 pm

I am really hoping for a one more good snow before the end of the season, we have nine days left. I found a really nice isolated cut corn field that I think will really draw with some snow on the ground. So far the forecast is looking like warm front for the next week.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Saw about 8 does on a south facing slope eating some green stuff at about 3pm. I think the warmth may have drawn them out.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:45 pm

I do know of one little clover plot in the back of a wma that I hunt. Saw what looked like reasonably fresh beds nearby. Would I be correct in thinking they would be more likely to be in the clover with the temperature being almost sixty degrees tomorrow? There are partially standing corn and bean fields in the vicinity as well.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:40 pm

DhD wrote:I do know of one little clover plot in the back of a wma that I hunt. Saw what looked like reasonably fresh beds nearby. Would I be correct in thinking they would be more likely to be in the clover with the temperature being almost sixty degrees tomorrow? There are partially standing corn and bean fields in the vicinity as well.

Couldn’t hurt to go for the green.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”