Public land tree prep?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Public land tree prep?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:19 am

Twenty Up wrote:I’ve dropped pins of bait piles/illegal stands to wardens and they never did anything
I’ve sent trail camera photos with GPS pins of guys driving pickup trucks on “foot access only” trails on public land, with the license plate shown.

Wardens didn’t do a thing about either situation. They’re more interested in catching guys shooting ducks over corn piles.

That being said, I’m breaking branches if necessary. I don’t carry pruners or anything, but I’ll break anything that I feel is in my way.

In reality, one wind storm does more damage to trees in an hour than I probably will all season...

I agree.

Umm you just logged like 800 acres bare but were not allowed to cut a few limbs. Well the only people allowed to cut limbs are those that pay us. Wardens response well we can't be everywhere at once.
Umm I'm giving you the evidence or telling where to find it.
I tried reporting bait sites, mass amounts of litter ect.

Most wardens are nice people but they are lazy and don't care. They might start off wanting to do the right thing but it never last. Sit in their area play on their pc and phones drive the roads once every few days, empty a few trash cans once a week. Every 8 months spread some rock on a few trails. I've hunted going on 20 years I've had my license checked once.

The only good thing I can say they sometimes do is check for cwd in a few counties. Even then they just threw cwd animals in a mass grave. They should have burned them to ash put in a large steel container sealed it and at the end of the year dug a very deep hole and buried it. They took the easy way out as they always do.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:24 am

I always carry a Leatherman(multipurpose tool) on my belt and will use the saw attachment for small branches that I cant break by hand. This tool actually helps me to reduce noise when compared to snapping off branches. Anything thicker than an inch I will just leave alone and work around it.

How do you guys mark specific trees during your pre season scouting? I wouldn't think GPS would get you the detail needed to mark the exact tree you want to sit in. But I am thinking you wouldn't want to mark it with reflector tags either...
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:36 am

NorthStar wrote:How do you guys mark specific trees during your pre season scouting? I wouldn't think GPS would get you the detail needed to mark the exact tree you want to sit in. But I am thinking you wouldn't want to mark it with reflector tags either...

I drop a pin on Onx when I find a tree for a potential future stand. I will most likely remember which exact tree it is when/if I go back in there, but I have occasionally put a small reflector pin/tack in the tree if for whatever reason I feel the need to...which is usually because it's a spot I plan to set up in before daylight.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:23 am

I think those rules are put in place just so people don’t think they have a green light to start hacking down whatever they feel like and making a mess. You can’t even walk through thick cover without unintentionally breaking twigs and small tree limbs.

Just use common sense. If there is a pencil size twig in my face or a thumb size branch I’ll do the best I can to just bend it and tuck it behind another branch or something but I’m guilty of breaking limbs. I don’t want to make noise or alter anything if I don’t have to.

I’m sure we’ve all walked up on a spot where someone has sawed off twenty wrist size trees a foot off the ground. I think those are the reasons those rules are put in place. It’s one thing to cut a couple tiny branches to get a clear shot. It’s another thing to go in with a saw like you own the place.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:33 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:There are two types of public land hunters: those that cut limbs, and those that lie about cutting limbs.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:41 am

NorthStar wrote:I always carry a Leatherman(multipurpose tool) on my belt and will use the saw attachment for small branches that I cant break by hand. This tool actually helps me to reduce noise when compared to snapping off branches. Anything thicker than an inch I will just leave alone and work around it.

How do you guys mark specific trees during your pre season scouting? I wouldn't think GPS would get you the detail needed to mark the exact tree you want to sit in. But I am thinking you wouldn't want to mark it with reflector tags either...

GPS gets me within 10-20 yards very reliably. When scouting I take a good visual assessment of landmarks (usually big or oddly shaped trees in the canopy) and burn that into my brain or write it down.

From there, when I get close, I shut my headlight off. Headlight gives you total tunnel vision trying to find specific landmarks in the dark. Let my eyes adjust to the darkness, find predetermined landmarks, and proceed to my final entry to the tree trying to stay downwind and off the expected deer travel.

If I'm guiding one of my less-Injun buddies, I leave them a couple reflector tacks. They're everywhere in the woods here, it's really NDB to leave a couple.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:58 am

I think it was Stanley who turned me on to using a set of ratchet pruners if necessary. This will limit you to being able to cut things about 1" thick. I agree those laws are to keep people with no common sense from cutting down the forest for shooting lanes. Wardens simply don't have time to track down people cutting small branches in the woods...I've sent conservation officers GPS coordinates of stands on public ground and they do nothing. They just don't have the resources for that kind of stuff in my area...IMO
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:01 am

Is it considered poaching if you shoot a buck from an illegal trimmed tree on public land?
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:17 am

Hawthorne wrote:Is it considered poaching if you shoot a buck from an illegal trimmed tree on public land?

Is the the buck legally their and is said tree in a sanctuary woods?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:22 am

Hawthorne wrote:Is it considered poaching if you shoot a buck from an illegal trimmed tree on public land?

If its a trophy buck, then its a problem. If its a dinker or a doe, then no big deal :D
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:42 pm

If you were run n & gunning and you found the exact tree you wanted to set up in, but found that someone had trimmed the tree illegally years ago, would you sit it or find a tree that wasnt trimmed? Or say it was trimmed that spring or early summer, would that deter you?
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:There are two types of public land hunters: those that cut limbs, and those that lie about cutting limbs.

:lol:
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:10 am

Pudster wrote:If you were run n & gunning and you found the exact tree you wanted to set up in, but found that someone had trimmed the tree illegally years ago, would you sit it or find a tree that wasnt trimmed? Or say it was trimmed that spring or early summer, would that deter you?

If there is fresh sign of recent buck activity, then I am going to hunt it at least once regardless of old hunter sign. Unless I am certain bucks are only using that area during illegal shooting hours of course...
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:39 am

These bucks are going around destroying trees by rubbing the bark off with their antlers! Since I’m all about saving trees, I’m hunting down the perpetrators to put an end to this. The work of a tree saver is never done! I’ll keep hunting them the rest of my life!

:mrgreen:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:40 am

Pudster wrote:If you were run n & gunning and you found the exact tree you wanted to set up in, but found that someone had trimmed the tree illegally years ago, would you sit it or find a tree that wasnt trimmed? Or say it was trimmed that spring or early summer, would that deter you?

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Like NorthStar said, if the sign says to hunt it...I'm hunting it.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”