Late Season in Farm Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Late Season in Farm Country

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:18 am

I live in what would be mostly classified as Farm Country. It’s flat, snow covered, and cut crop ag fields this time of year. I usually drive home from work during that last hour of light and I am seeing deer grouped up and feeding in these fields. It appears to be mostly does, unless there are bucks that have shed antlers already, and I only see these groupings on low hunting pressure areas.

So here are my related questions….

Should I assume that what I am seeing is just typical doe movement and does not reflect the movement of a mature buck for late season in farm country?

If I am not seeing these same patterns on the public grounds that I hunt, should I assume that the deer have moved to low pressure areas or maybe have they become nocturnal?

I am sure there are many factors and different answers to these questions but I would be interested in getting some Beast input. Thanks!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Bio1

Re: Late Season in Farm Country

Unread postby Bio1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:06 pm

The bucks very well could be there just hanging back in the cover until last light or after dark. If you can get access to where they are and there is snow I’d parallel the woods on the field edge and see if I could cut a big track or two.

Bio1
Lockdown

Re: Late Season in Farm Country

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Bio1 wrote:The bucks very well could be there just hanging back in the cover until last light or after dark. If you can get access to where they are and there is snow I’d parallel the woods on the field edge and see if I could cut a big track or two.

Bio1

x2 for all of this. Tracks will tell the story.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”