A different animal...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gsquared23

Re: A different animal...

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:50 pm

I disagree on mature bucks being only as smart as an old doe. It might not be intelligence exactly, but they have something more than that old nanny. I always called it a continuous paranoia (outside the rut) that makes them think every foreign noise or smell could be something out to kill them. In low pressure areas, sure, they are going to be easier to crack. Most guys on this forum would do well on iowa public, that state has just done a wonderful job of managing their resource, whereas liberal run places like Illinois will never reach their potential. I’ve hunted both, and I was a terrible hunter and got on iowa public land bucks with little problem.

Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:56 pm

I agree with the post about the momma doe...

If the momma doe is 1.5 yrs when she gives birth shes going to teach the offspring buck how a 1.5 year old acts aka semi-reckless.

If momma doe is 3.5 or older her offspring are going to be raised by a schizophrenic paranoid mother and they will duplicate the way she acts, beds, travels etc. which probably add up to them surviving to that age class as well
what one man can do another can do
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm

fenderbender62 wrote:I agree with the post about the momma doe...

If the momma doe is 1.5 yrs when she gives birth shes going to teach the offspring buck how a 1.5 year old acts aka semi-reckless.

If momma doe is 3.5 or older her offspring are going to be raised by a schizophrenic paranoid mother and they will duplicate the way she acts, beds, travels etc. which probably add up to them surviving to that age class as well

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you guys, and never thought about that before.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:58 pm

deleted.... double post
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:02 pm

I’ve thought about this before. I think the biggest difference is there are a lot fewer of them compared to does and younger bucks and even rare in my area making them harder to see. The few times I’ve had a truly mature in front of me they’ve actually been easier to kill in bow range than a big ole mature doe.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:42 pm

I stumbled into two situations over the weekend that I haven't taken into account before. Two freshly used Buck beds I stumbled into both were bedded within 20-30 yards of doe groups. Leaving me to wonder if pressured bucks use other deer to alert them. Both beds were upwind of the doe beds. Both of these bedding areas were in very thick cover where their vision would be impaired. These were both in heavily pressured feet drive areas.

The gun buck I shot was bedded with a young buck. The young Buck stood up and started browsing and I could see the older bucks rack turn and watch him. It seemed like he let the young buck risk it until he deemed it safe enough to stand.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:46 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
tuff4x4 wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:^This^

I'd add that Momma Doe has a lot to do with the early year experiences as well. If she is overly cautious, her offspring will likely be cautious too...

Ed in the areas you hunt do you consider mature bucks and "overly cautious" does to be in the same category then?

Yes, the only difference is the Doe is catering to her rambunctious offspring that may cause her to be slightly more vulnerable vs. a nomad buck...

I've killed a few large blockheads and watched a few as well. They are Wiley for sure

I have set out to kill a few older mature does simply because they either bust me all the time or just seem to be on high alert all the time!! A fee has been as hard to kill as some of my bucks with the exception the does move more in daylight hours :lol: :lol:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:53 am

treeroot wrote:I stumbled into two situations over the weekend that I haven't taken into account before. Two freshly used Buck beds I stumbled into both were bedded within 20-30 yards of doe groups. Leaving me to wonder if pressured bucks use other deer to alert them. Both beds were upwind of the doe beds. Both of these bedding areas were in very thick cover where their vision would be impaired. These were both in heavily pressured feet drive areas.

The gun buck I shot was bedded with a young buck. The young Buck stood up and started browsing and I could see the older bucks rack turn and watch him. It seemed like he let the young buck risk it until he deemed it safe enough to stand.

Both if the mentioned scenarios is something I notice often, every season actually

The bedding upwind from doe bedding in thick dense cover... I think the buck is focusing mainly on thermal scent from the does. Also few times Ive seen this, the buck was closer to the wind tunnel and was still getting wind/scent from above as well as thermal scent from below

As for the bucks being along side a younger buck...maybe as a decoy, I see this very very often on specific bucks I target. I have often wondered why...maybe the youngster is learning traits, maybe the mature buck allows him to tag along knowing the youngster is aware of the pecking order when breeding time comes...I dont know but see it every year

My daughter is after a 4.5 now that every time he has been seen this year, he has had a 1.5 year old 3pt near by.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”