What Has Worked For You this Year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Re: What Has Worked For You this Year?

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:54 am

Nothing. Lol. Sold some gear, bought some other stuff that will be sold as well. Opening day was my best day, found a couple spots that should be really good in the future. Have a set of beast sticks on the way, going to build a diy saddle, and bought a Sitka stratus vest that is awesome.

peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:56 am

Haven’t been able to connect on a buck yet, but I feel like I’ve been in the game at least.

I’ve been learning the past few years but haven’t had a ton of time to get out and put things to the test due to a growing family.

Biggest thing for me this year was just finding, scouting, and following deer trails through the thickest and nastiest brush or marshes which has lead me to bedding. Put me on a nice 8 which I promptly botched the shot.
“You have to pay your dues”
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:12 am

I would say taking advantage of early season. I shouldn't be surprised by this but it amazes me how many hunters I talk to that avoid September hunting like the plague. I saw more deer the first week of hunting then I did for the entire remainder of the season. And you could just tell by the body language of the deer that they were more relaxed and willing to be out more in daylight. I can't want for 2020 opener!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Tmitch14

Unread postby Tmitch14 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:19 am

I agree 1000% NorthStar. Last couple of seasons I've taken nice bucks early, seems like I have the woods to myself and I hunt 90% public land. Deer are calm and I definitely see more daylight movement. I also find it easier to get down and move closer as there is a lot more cover (leaves on the trees). That can also be a PITA, more leaves can mean less shooting lanes! I take advantage of the early bear season (basically middle 2 weeks in Sept.) to take one last scout trip to the areas I plan on hunting.

Taking a buck early in bow season has allowed me more time to roam and scout other areas as the season unfolds. This gives me more "educated" locations to pin down that I want to hunt. It seems like getting a buck early gives me more time to spend finding next years bucks location. Feels like the last few seasons, positive momentum is on my side due to early season success.

And I'm speaking of mature shooter bucks, no dinks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”