Getting chilly. Cold days are upon us

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Getting chilly. Cold days are upon us

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:54 am

Got cold last night from waist down. It was 34 when i got in tree and i think 28 when i got back too truck.
Laugh you north westerners but thats chilly here for me lmao. I Seem to get colder ever year.
well i tried out and Had the new sitka bibs on that I really got for a sweet price.
I do have too say i like them. But im not sold or in love with them.
They fit great, light weight,And they kinda stretch when reaching and stepping up rather than impeeding either one.
I gotta admit though they are not gonna work for my system.
First of all the pockets are awesome but being run and gun and wearing a coat and saftey harness the chest pockets and hand warmer pocket is useless.
The side pockets are hard to get to because of safety harness leg straps
I think the zippers are really cheaply done and are probably gonna get stuck or iced up when going through water and ice. At least when its cold.
The zippers are really super small which in my opinion risks durability and for the price of this stuff should be heavy duty everything.
End game is This after having a conversation with a couple of people who i really take advice from with a-lot of things, especially anything that has to do with big bucks.
I am sending the bibs back and i am going with old school wool. 1/2 the price and from what I'm hearing and will work even better. Suspenders are also being used cause i have zero but. Im all belly. It will keep from losing my drawers withstand on back which is highly highly annoying.
My first piece will be the pants which i picked up last night. From online store And are the ones below in picture.
Im going with sock liners and wool socks too see what happens.
I own a drake stand hunter jacket and love it.
I need a midlayer something though for under that. But not too bulky. Anyone any ideas? Ideas just for mid layer shirt is what im looking for. The cotton hoodies are just not cutting it anymore. The two hoods from both are annoying and kinda bulky.
Also in all honesty all this polyester new stuff is really not impressive to me.
I think its being pushed because its so cheap too make. The markup on this stuff is probably crazy.
Sorry if this topic has another thread but i figured id maybe bump it with another.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Getting chilly. Cold days are upon us

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:17 am

I’m telling you...acclimation. When it’s cold, be cold, don’t bundle up. You will get use to it be comfortable with not being comfortable. I even shower with water cold enough that makes it “slightly uncomfortable” for me to be in there. It helps a lot.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 am

Noticing staying warm gets harder as you get older. Highs gonna be in the teens in the next week here in WI. Bring it on. Looking forward to some hardwater fishing in the near future.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:03 am

matt1336 wrote:I’m telling you...acclimation. When it’s cold, be cold, don’t bundle up. You will get use to it be comfortable with not being comfortable. I even shower with water cold enough that makes it “slightly uncomfortable” for me to be in there. It helps a lot.

I do believe this works i really do.
But man its harder and harder too sit still on stand when your cold. Which being still is in my opinion very important.
I can go all day scouting , out and about, working in yard , etc. with just light tee or a light flannel but for some reason anymore i get cold on stand
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:51 am

Just a note I never pay full price for hunting clothing. I always hit the sales. I have a Eddie Bauer field sweater. This is light enough I can still tuck it in my pants. I would recommend a quarter zip wool blend or some sort or a Sherpa lined quarter zip. Need layers that zip so you don’t trap heat and sweat while walking in and setting up. D.I.Y sportsman just did a podcast on layering you should give it a listen.
nal5080

Unread postby nal5080 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:05 am

Check out the Pnuma heated shirt. I bought it last year and it has been a game changer for me. I have 2 batteries and charge them up every night before hunting and have enough charge for a whole day. It's awesome for sitting in the stand as well as for still hunting. You won't need as many layers to stay warm.

https://www.pnumaoutdoors.com/iconx-heated-core-vest
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:50 am

Colder than a witches left breast in a brass bra...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:56 am

Just gotta stay dry. Once it gets cold I wear a long sleeve shirt and maybe a hoody to the tree and get dressed there. Can have all the fancy garments you want. Get wet and it sucks.

Pnuma heated vest is awesome, cabelas fleece and waffle pattern heavyweight long underwear is awesome, heater body suit and iwom are awesome. Keep your head hands and feet warm. I can wear the thinnest jersey gloves and be fine, but my hands cannot be uncovered or I cool off really quick.

And acclimate. I’m way colder on a 30 degree day in October than I am on a 10 degree day in March.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:51 am

matt1336 wrote:I’m telling you...acclimation. When it’s cold, be cold, don’t bundle up. You will get use to it be comfortable with not being comfortable. I even shower with water cold enough that makes it “slightly uncomfortable” for me to be in there. It helps a lot.

Truth! Cold and heat hardy you up, are good for your health, just not too much. ;) :lol:
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:19 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:

But man its harder and harder too sit still on stand when your cold. Which being still is in my opinion very important.
I can go all day scouting , out and about, working in yard , etc. with just light tee or a light flannel but for some reason anymore i get cold on stand

LOL what? Thats your best advice for a guy looking to stay warm, take a cold shower? One word IWOM. Pricey but I can say I've never heard of a guy not loving one after using it.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am

cw2gsp wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

LOL what? Thats your best advice for a guy looking to stay warm, take a cold shower? One word IWOM. Pricey but I can say I've never heard of a guy not loving one after using it.

I seen them and hear alot of good things about them.
But im 100% mobile and it’s something else to tote.
How much it weigh?
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:09 am

Windproof clothing has taken 80% of my getting cold away.
Hand warmer muff and thin gloves fixed my hands getting cold.
Dressing down for the hike in so I don't sweat.
Putting antiperspirant on my feet stopped them from sweating on the walk in.

I'm not brand loyal on clothing. Half my stuff is scentlok, not because of the carbon but because it comes on sale 30-70% off pretty often. I'm more worried about loud clothing then patterns or brands.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 am

cw2gsp wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

Colder showers are a way for you to ACCLIMATE yourself to being cold....so yeah it helps. That and putting your big boy pants on when it gets cold helps too. You have to be physically and mentally ok with being uncomfortable.
I have an hbs...I’ll tell you tho, when it’s cold you still have to want it to stay out there. Nothing can be comfortable when it’s zero and or really windy. That, my friend is when it’s important to be good with being uncomfortable.
So....my best advice to staying warm is to make sure you have big boy pants to wear and be mentally tough. Acclimation helps a lot. If you think I’m joking, do some research on here and see what Dan has to say about it, cuz he’s the guy that gave me the idea....lol
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:50 am

matt1336 wrote:
cw2gsp wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

Colder showers are a way for you to ACCLIMATE yourself to being cold....so yeah it helps. That and putting your big boy pants on when it gets cold helps too. You have to be physically and mentally ok with being uncomfortable.
I have an hbs...I’ll tell you tho, when it’s cold you still have to want it to stay out there. Nothing can be comfortable when it’s zero and or really windy. That, my friend is when it’s important to be good with being uncomfortable.
So....my best advice to staying warm is to make sure you have big boy pants to wear and be mentally tough. Acclimation helps a lot. If you think I’m joking, do some research on here and see what Dan has to say about it, cuz he’s the guy that gave me the idea....lol

Big boy pants? Whatever that means lol
Son Im 45 years old and been out with the best of them. I'm not asking for a life lesson here.
Ive been hunting for 25 years probably longer
But thanks for your input.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:34 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
cw2gsp wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

Big boy pants? Whatever that means lol
Son Im 45 years old and been out with the best of them. I'm not asking for a life lesson here.
Ive been hunting for 25 years probably longer
But thanks for your input.

Lol. No offense. That response was meant more for cw. I completely believe you have more than a few pairs for big boy pants.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”