Rub lines and late season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crittergetter76

Rub lines and late season?

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:25 am

Are rub lines worth hunting during late season? Our rut is just about done and I found a really good rub line along a large and deep drainage ditch.
I was scouting a new area after my hunt got blown by 2 guys walking past my tree at 8:30 am and I found a bed on a point of the ditch surrounded by multiple small rubs so assuming it’s a young buck. Farther investigation lead to the rub line. Probably 30 + tubs of various size in a couple hundred stretch that follows the top rim of the drainage and also found a crossing that crosses the ditch.
Thinking about setting up at the crossing where the rub line intersects at the top of the ditch.
Thoughts?
I’ll post pics in a few of the area

Crittergetter76

Re: Rub lines and late season?

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:37 am

E956D459-A00A-4D7C-9505-37E3A15D684E.jpeg

Blue is the creek/drainage
Red is the bed.
Yellow is rubs
Green is crossing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crittergetter76

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:40 am

Forgot to mention the left side of the fence line is private
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 am

If think that it’d depend on if that location remains advantageous for the buck to be there. Does it still offer security? Food is a big deal on the late season, does he have access to food? Does are less of a reason for bedding in certain areas in late season, but it’s still worth thinking about. Does he have access to does?
With security being primary and food being next in line, I’d say it’s worth hunting if the bed offers these two factors.
Crittergetter76

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:09 am

Plenty of security cover and plenty of food.
Judging by the creek crossing there are does in the area.
I’ve always heard that deer will travel the same trails all year but only rub a few weeks out of the year. So I’m wondering if setting up on this rub line will be advantageous during the late season? or should I try to find more bedding and set up closer?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”