Has anyone ever had this happen ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jzehr

Has anyone ever had this happen ?

Unread postby jzehr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:21 am

So NYs late muzzleloder season opened this week and I figured I would throw a quick stalk on the same bed I killed my regular season buck in. Conditions were perfect and I was able to get to 15 yards when wouldn't you know I see the rack of a big 10 point in the same exact bed that I shot my 8 point in. Anyway we saw each other at the same time but instead of standing up and running, the buck literally slid him self like a penguin across the small deer trail and down an embankment into cattails. He never stood up and I never had a good ethical shot. I couldn't believe that he knew enough to stay flat on the ground. has anyone else seen anything like this happen ? Also second question the buck obvously saw me and with snow on I tracked him and jumped him one more time but couldn't get a shot. What are the chances he will use that bed again ? I only have one more day to hunt and it will be Saturday.

EllieTheChubb

Re: Has anyone ever had this happen ?

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:06 am

Last year. I was walking the edge of a swamp on a blustery day and saw antlers about 20yds in the cattails against a dead tree. The only reason I saw them was because of how violently the cattails were whipping in the wind against the starionary rack. I froze the second I saw them and just watched bow in hand. Within 10 seconds the antlers dropped out of view and I slowly worked my way towards a tree where the roots gave me an extra foot of elevation. I was amazed to see absolutely nothing once I got there. I started to question my own eyes and after 10 perplexed minutes I waded out to the tree. There was a fresh bed there and I figured out what happened. Without standing up the buck slid down off the hump of dry land into the marsh and walked off.
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:10 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:Last year. I was walking the edge of a swamp on a blustery day and saw antlers about 20yds in the cattails against a dead tree. The only reason I saw them was because of how violently the cattails were whipping in the wind against the starionary rack. I froze the second I saw them and just watched bow in hand. Within 10 seconds the antlers dropped out of view and I slowly worked my way towards a tree where the roots gave me an extra foot of elevation. I was amazed to see absolutely nothing once I got there. I started to question my own eyes and after 10 perplexed minutes I waded out to the tree. There was a fresh bed there and I figured out what happened. Without standing up the buck slid down off the hump of dry land into the marsh and walked off.

It's amazing how quickly they learn to beat you
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 am

It definitely makes you wonder how many you haven't seen/ walked right past.

A good friend of mine works on radio towers. He said you'd be surprised how many deer just lay down when a hunter comes onto a property and they wait for them to pass.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”