Beginners luck scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hookslinger
500 Club

Beginners luck scouting

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Scouted my first piece of public today "beast style", and had surprising results. Decided to hop in a swamp right off of the road in between parking lots. It was one of the spots I picked out to scout by looking at an ariel. Its got a little bit of everything. Cattails mixed in with swamp grass, a big wall of of phragmites on one end, and some ash trees and bigger cedar trees scattered through out.

I walked the transition lines and checked around each tree and found a crap ton of beds. A handful of rubs too, mostly small but one old one on a bigger tree. I also found some buck turds that looked like they had been laid by a Sasquatch.

Could be beginners luck, and the next 10 spots I pick to scout could be duds... BUT, my point is just from learning here, listening to HB podcasts, and watching dans videos, I did something that I never could or would even think to do before: I picked out an "overlooked" spot that I had never set foot on before, solely from looking at a map. Made my best guess where bedding would be, and 50 yards in off the road I started finding beds. I was kinda shocked.

It pumped me up and kind of solidified the reasons I started down this new path of hunting stradegy. So needless to say, when I hopped out of that gnarly swamp back onto the dirt road and started walking 1/4 mile back up to the parking lot, I was a happy camper! :dance:

e80c538a-0554-4689-93ae-ecbaacfcd61e.jpg

5908ee0b-1f8c-48d0-b157-2b9a0ec0ea9c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Beginners luck scouting

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 pm

8-)

Great finds.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:17 pm

The bad thing is when I would kneel down in the beds that I guessed to be buck beds, all I could think was "How in the heck am I going to kill this thing". Now after finding a spot like this, all of the questions are running through my head. When are the bucks using these beds? How am I going to access without spooking them? Is this a good early season spot, or rut spot? How should I play the wind/thermals here? Enough to drive a guy nuts :lol:

I'm going to scout it more. Also on the other side of the road there is hardwoods with oaks. There are trails where they cross the road at some point, so it could be good early when the oaks are dropping. Either way I'm hoping this will be the first of many spots that I find for 2020 season. Lots to learn and need many spots as I know I will have lots of screw ups. Should be fun though!
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:34 pm

It sounds like you’re getting off to a great start.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”