Cwd positive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ramp

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby Ramp » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 am

Curious what part of Sauk county? How old? I shot one also that tested positive last year 5 yr old not far from Sauk city. I didn’t consume either.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:01 pm

EllieTheChubb wrote:
stash59 wrote:
FRH wrote:
dubbs wrote:
crankn101 wrote:The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .

There is no truth to that statement. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer in Colorado. No one definitively knows what started CWD, but there are theories that it may be related to scrapie found in domestic sheep.

I trust the biologists who have studied and worked with wildlife and diseases more than some random people on the internet with no advanced training in wildlife, medicine, or biology (including myself). That's why I It bothers me that I read the same uninformed comments from people all over the internet.

I live one unit over from a CWD area, and I have no doubt that in the next few years it will be in my area. I will test my deer and I will not eat any deer that tests positive. I think CWD will really affect my desire to hunt deer once it hits my area. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment, and that's why I feel CWD is one of the biggest threats to hunting right now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but odds are you already have cwd in your area. It just hasn't been found or hasn't been tested enough in your area. I'm sure it is all over the US but isn't prevalent as it is not tested for unilaterally.
What I would like to see WI do is have 100 deer from each county be tested and show the prevalence rates on a uniform scale. Right now there is much more testing done around hot spots and the data continues to show that it is more common in those area. Well duh, if that's where the largest sample size is coming from then of course that's where the majority of your positive tests will come. I do not believe cwd is as big of a problem as many make it out to be. I will not test a deer unless it looks sick or unhealthy.
The number that I would like to know and haven't been able to find is how many deer have died as a result of cwd. Not the number that have died from a gun/arrow shot, hit by car, or other causes that have tested positive for cwd but actually died directly from cwd.

I agree with FHR and think his idea to test 100 deer from each county/management unit. Is novel and a good one. There are people that are HIV positive that haven't or never got full blown aids. Are there CWD positive deer out there? That aren't or won't die from it! And are these deer developing genetics or have genetics that combats the disease.

The scabies aspect is just a theory. No one knows for sure, nor can we find out at this point. If CWD has been around for centuries or if it's something less than 100 years old. Instead of spending money to try to eradicate the disease by eradicating the deer herd. All moneys should go towards more research in multiple facets of how the disease affects the whole herd and potential human risk.

Guess I'm confused on your reasoning for only testing 100 deer in each wmd. I may be wrong but in all the states I'm aware of your individual tests go into the same pool. So if everyone tested thier deer it would be 200, 300 or more per wmd. Instead of such a limited group you could have a much better analysis of the effects of cwd.
A large number of folks who work in wildlife management are sportsman. That's why they are drawn to the profession. It seems like you are confusing the researchers with the litigators.

At the moment WI's CWD testing is all voluntary. Only people testing are in CWD areas. So testing 100 in each unit would be a huge step in a better direction!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:01 pm

[url] https://dnr.wi.gov/wmcwd/Summary/County [url]

It seems pretty much the whole state has been tested and seems to be pretty well confined to the current core areas
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Ramp wrote:Curious what part of Sauk county? How old? I shot one also that tested positive last year 5 yr old not far from Sauk city. I didn’t consume either.

Same general area. This one was 2 and my 17 buck that was also positive was aged at 5-6
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:18 pm

EllieTheChubb wrote:
stash59 wrote:
FRH wrote:
dubbs wrote:
crankn101 wrote:The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .

There is no truth to that statement. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer in Colorado. No one definitively knows what started CWD, but there are theories that it may be related to scrapie found in domestic sheep.

I trust the biologists who have studied and worked with wildlife and diseases more than some random people on the internet with no advanced training in wildlife, medicine, or biology (including myself). That's why I It bothers me that I read the same uninformed comments from people all over the internet.

I live one unit over from a CWD area, and I have no doubt that in the next few years it will be in my area. I will test my deer and I will not eat any deer that tests positive. I think CWD will really affect my desire to hunt deer once it hits my area. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment, and that's why I feel CWD is one of the biggest threats to hunting right now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but odds are you already have cwd in your area. It just hasn't been found or hasn't been tested enough in your area. I'm sure it is all over the US but isn't prevalent as it is not tested for unilaterally.
What I would like to see WI do is have 100 deer from each county be tested and show the prevalence rates on a uniform scale. Right now there is much more testing done around hot spots and the data continues to show that it is more common in those area. Well duh, if that's where the largest sample size is coming from then of course that's where the majority of your positive tests will come. I do not believe cwd is as big of a problem as many make it out to be. I will not test a deer unless it looks sick or unhealthy.
The number that I would like to know and haven't been able to find is how many deer have died as a result of cwd. Not the number that have died from a gun/arrow shot, hit by car, or other causes that have tested positive for cwd but actually died directly from cwd.

I agree with FHR and think his idea to test 100 deer from each county/management unit. Is novel and a good one. There are people that are HIV positive that haven't or never got full blown aids. Are there CWD positive deer out there? That aren't or won't die from it! And are these deer developing genetics or have genetics that combats the disease.

The scabies aspect is just a theory. No one knows for sure, nor can we find out at this point. If CWD has been around for centuries or if it's something less than 100 years old. Instead of spending money to try to eradicate the disease by eradicating the deer herd. All moneys should go towards more research in multiple facets of how the disease affects the whole herd and potential human risk.

Guess I'm confused on your reasoning for only testing 100 deer in each wmd. I may be wrong but in all the states I'm aware of your individual tests go into the same pool. So if everyone tested thier deer it would be 200, 300 or more per wmd. Instead of such a limited group you could have a much better analysis of the effects of cwd.
A large number of folks who work in wildlife management are sportsman. That's why they are drawn to the profession. It seems like you are confusing the researchers with the litigators.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be limited to 100. I would want a large and even sample size per county to have a uniform sample throughout the state to keep everything even and dissect the results from there. If you are testing 10 deer from a county and 300 from another the odds are much greater that you will have more positives out of the 300 than the 10.
Wader
Facebook: Dusty Varble

Unread postby Wader » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:24 pm

We dont have the disease in my state yet officially (likely soon), but i have been trying to read up on it. The troubling part is that it is apparently in the soil, and in and on the plants in affected areas. So you dont even have to be a deer hunter to be exposed to the pathogen. In theory you could just eat a salad with greens from an infected state and have it on your dinner plate already. So avoiding eating a positive CWD deer would help you avoid definite heavy direct exposure but may not prevent you from disease contact at all.
Jeremy_D

Unread postby Jeremy_D » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 am

I rifle hunt Iowa county. The land owner had to call the DNR about a month ago to come shoot one that wouldnt leave his yard. Walked right through his shop. Of course CWD positive. I shot a buck off his property opening day..positive. A friend of mine had one come back positive from Juneau county last year. I live and do most of my bow hunting and some gun hunting in Sauk county. I guess I have to get every deer tested from here on out no matter what.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Jeremy_D wrote:I rifle hunt Iowa county. The land owner had to call the DNR about a month ago to come shoot one that wouldnt leave his yard. Walked right through his shop. Of course CWD positive. I shot a buck off his property opening day..positive. A friend of mine had one come back positive from Juneau county last year. I live and do most of my bow hunting and some gun hunting in Sauk county. I guess I have to get every deer tested from here on out no matter what.

Did they test the deer foe other diseases?
Randy Lahey

Unread postby Randy Lahey » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Wader wrote:We dont have the disease in my state yet officially (likely soon), but i have been trying to read up on it. The troubling part is that it is apparently in the soil, and in and on the plants in affected areas. So you dont even have to be a deer hunter to be exposed to the pathogen. In theory you could just eat a salad with greens from an infected state and have it on your dinner plate already. So avoiding eating a positive CWD deer would help you avoid definite heavy direct exposure but may not prevent you from disease contact at all.

I would assume it could possibly contaminate livestock feed as well.
lyndon57

Unread postby lyndon57 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:16 am

Have never tested. Prions in soil. Do we let excavation equipment leave the cwd areas without being cleaned? Do we let hay crops leave the zone? Livestock? You think deer never enter pastures because a fence is there?
How are you guys cleaning all the mud off those hunting boots? The crap I see people feeding themselves/family from stores would worry me much more than cwd transmission. If I were only going to shoot & dumpster the animal,
I would choose a new challenge in life.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:31 pm

lyndon57 wrote:Have never tested. Prions in soil. Do we let excavation equipment leave the cwd areas without being cleaned? Do we let hay crops leave the zone? Livestock? You think deer never enter pastures because a fence is there?
How are you guys cleaning all the mud off those hunting boots? The crap I see people feeding themselves/family from stores would worry me much more than cwd transmission. If I were only going to shoot & dumpster the animal,
I would choose a new challenge in life.

Don’t forget deer processors. I don’t think anyone is heating their equipment to 600* or whatever it takes to kill prions..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”