Shoot down a drone being used for scouting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Findian
500 Club

Re: Shoot down a drone being used for scouting?

Unread postby Findian » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 am

Jonny wrote:
stash59 wrote:Use in the off season is no different than using aerials like GoogleEarth. IMHO. Just think it would be unethical for spotting game in season.

My exact thoughts. Scouting tool not a hunting tool. Just like cell cameras imo

I agree off season use only.

I met a guide from Montana this summer and he was telling me how some of the guides are using the drones to drive deer on to the property they hunt. After they spot them with the spotting scope. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:54 am

Findian wrote:
Jonny wrote:
stash59 wrote:Use in the off season is no different than using aerials like GoogleEarth. IMHO. Just think it would be unethical for spotting game in season.

My exact thoughts. Scouting tool not a hunting tool. Just like cell cameras imo

I agree off season use only.

I met a guide from Montana this summer and he was telling me how some of the guides are using the drones to drive deer on to the property they hunt. After they spot them with the spotting scope. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Legal or not, that is unethical in my mind. I’m fine even using drones in season but make it like Alaska and their flying rule. Can’t hunt the day you fly. If you fly a drone, you aren’t allowed to hunt. Obviously it would be really easy to break this rule but could treat it like shining. If you are shining with a bow or gun in possession, that’s a fine. If you have a gun or bow and a drone, that’s illegal. Pick one or the other.

Unfortunately just another tool guys will look to exploit. And the sad part is if those guys put that effort into learning and proper scouting, they wouldn’t need to try and cheat anyways.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:11 am

I would shoot every drone down and check every camera card like Eddie. Just kidding I don’t do either
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:16 am

Just out here shooting some clays :lol:
Bman409
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bman409

Unread postby Bman409 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 am

Just to play devil's advocate.. but how is using a drone any different than using a cellular trail cam that gives you real time pictures (or almost real time)?

that said, its illegal to use any kind of aircraft, including drones, while hunting in the state of NY.

Scouting? that's entirely legal as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”