Effective use of Cams

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Effective use of Cams

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:02 am

To start, I’m no expert on the subject and feel there’s prob way more qualified personnel on here. But I don’t recall this being discussed. For anyone ethically removed from using cams please disregard and i give ya a big thumbs up for sticking to what’s rewarding for you.

I believe I have prob made more mistakes with cams than the avg Joe. I ain’t talking bout checking constantly and burning a spot out. Cameras are way more than just capturing a picture. Quality pics answer serious questions! Yes, I use them to verify what’s in the area or what’s on the menu. But from there it’s about answering mysteries. When, where, and why! Wise use of cams reveal every bit of info there is. From where he’s bedding/feeding to how he gets there. His rut circuit, or multiple bucks circuit, habits/tendencies, range, you name it!

Point is a pic should teach u something atleast Imo. If the only question answered is there’s a good buck around here somewhere. Move them puppies around! Figure out the why, when, and where.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
backstraps

Re: Effective use of Cams

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 am

Agree!!! There is so much more to effectively using cameras that inventory purposes.

I always say to each their own. Trail cams for sure can be more harm than good (when not used correctly)
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:38 am

There are multiple uses for cameras. One I use them for, not often mentioned, is to record HUNTING PRESSURE.

If I'm on familiar ground, I dont need a scrapbook full of pics in most cases, just inventory. But if I using them on new to me land, I often cyber scout first, then I put boots on the ground to determine (hypothesize) travel and bedding patterns. Then I will set up cameras at strategic spots to tell me if what I thought as far as movement, food, bedding, etc., during scouting is accurate.

It is just a shortcut IME to spending years learning a piece of ground. One person can only be in so many spots in a year.... cameras help me gather intel all year.

I employ many strategies just dont publically discuss them all.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 am

Just got into the camera game last year. Learned on my own you can get good buck inventory on a few scrapes in the area.

After finding and reading info on the beast, and listening to a particular podcast with Andy May, I've taken it to the next level. I've got 4 cameras out that are "cooking" til the end of the season, gathering intel. All are near bedding areas, one is actually pointed directly at a bed.

1 + 5 more I just bought I use in spots I can quickly access to check periodically. Mostly somewhere it is normal for human scent to be in. Andy May suggested this for cameras checked often, because the deer are used to human activity in these areas and won't be spooked by frequent checks. These are primarily for inventory purposes to see what kind of buck is in the area. These get moved around as I see fit. I only have so much time to hunt so many areas so when I do I want to be sure its not for a scrub buck, which there's plenty of in NC. Sometimes I don't have time to find the big buck sign, so a nightime photo off the side of a road of a big buck will let me know and at the same time can help preserve an area I haven't even dove into yet.

Still experimenting, still learning. I plan to add to my camera collection every year.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 am

Boogieman1 wrote:To start, I’m no expert on the subject and feel there’s prob way more qualified personnel on here. But I don’t recall this being discussed. For anyone ethically removed from using cams please disregard and i give ya a big thumbs up for sticking to what’s rewarding for you.

I believe I have prob made more mistakes with cams than the avg Joe. I ain’t talking bout checking constantly and burning a spot out. Cameras are way more than just capturing a picture. Quality pics answer serious questions! Yes, I use them to verify what’s in the area or what’s on the menu. But from there it’s about answering mysteries. When, where, and why! Wise use of cams reveal every bit of info there is. From where he’s bedding/feeding to how he gets there. His rut circuit, or multiple bucks circuit, habits/tendencies, range, you name it!

Point is a pic should teach u something atleast Imo. If the only question answered is there’s a good buck around here somewhere. Move them puppies around! Figure out the why, when, and where.

I use them mainly for inventory. Also for me it is almost like trapping as it is fun to see what you catch. I do get intel from them as far as direction of travel, time, etc.

I am curious though Boogie about the rut circuit. I have never had any luck in determining any pattern or consistency in a rut circuit. About the only thing I do during the rut is if they show a lot of activity, I will hunt that area immediately assuming there is a hot doe in the area. Often though I am late by the time I get the info. I am curious about your successes though.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:51 am

cspot wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:To start, I’m no expert on the subject and feel there’s prob way more qualified personnel on here. But I don’t recall this being discussed. For anyone ethically removed from using cams please disregard and i give ya a big thumbs up for sticking to what’s rewarding for you.

I use them mainly for inventory. Also for me it is almost like trapping as it is fun to see what you catch. I do get intel from them as far as direction of travel, time, etc.

I am curious though Boogie about the rut circuit. I have never had any luck in determining any pattern or consistency in a rut circuit. About the only thing I do during the rut is if they show a lot of activity, I will hunt that area immediately assuming there is a hot doe in the area. Often though I am late by the time I get the info. I am curious about your successes though.

My findings are based on my own situation and have never really put much effort into any other areas so don’t hang me if it doesn’t translate to your particular situation. I have remotely good success patterning individual bucks off of prior years rut circuit. But my best odds are patterning spurts of activity through particular areas. Whether that’s based on particular doe groups or just the nature of the beast I don’t really know. But for me to get the info I desire I need some kind of squeeze or restriction. In my experience, mature bucks don’t like to follow each other’s trail. I need something to take 4 or 5 individuals bucks circuit and force it down. Will be honest for the majority of the season it’s a dead zone and more often than not u got a 3 or 4 day window at a certain time that u need certain conditions. If u don’t get those conditions (be it wind direction, cloud cover-drizzle, sun shine or any mix) then u better have a back up. Just have been fortunate to hunt here my whole life so I have found a lot of em for various conditions. Guess if u put a cam on a rub line it would be similar, suspect u would get one good buck traveling and several youngsters following him. Now if u had the topography to squeeze multiple rub lines then u would see a bigger variety.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
cspot wrote:

My findings are based on my own situation and have never really put much effort into any other areas so don’t hang me if it doesn’t translate to your particular situation. I have remotely good success patterning individual bucks off of prior years rut circuit. But my best odds are patterning spurts of activity through particular areas. Whether that’s based on particular doe groups or just the nature of the beast I don’t really know. But for me to get the info I desire I need some kind of squeeze or restriction. In my experience, mature bucks don’t like to follow each other’s trail. I need something to take 4 or 5 individuals bucks circuit and force it down. Will be honest for the majority of the season it’s a dead zone and more often than not u got a 3 or 4 day window at a certain time that u need certain conditions. If u don’t get those conditions (be it wind direction, cloud cover-drizzle, sun shine or any mix) then u better have a back up. Just have been fortunate to hunt here my whole life so I have found a lot of em for various conditions. Guess if u put a cam on a rub line it would be similar, suspect u would get one good buck traveling and several youngsters following him. Now if u had the topography to squeeze multiple rub lines then u would see a bigger variety.

Interesting. I will have to pay attention to that and see if I can pick up on anything in my area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”