Deer hunter mistakenly kills two elk in northern Wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Re: Deer hunter mistakenly kills two elk in northern Wisconsin

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:25 pm

I’m glad she turned herself in...but for crying out loud... that’s all I’ll say lol

How bad do you want it?
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 am

Makes a person pretty worried to be wandering the woods during the rifle season...

That’s exactly what I was thinking, concerned to be walking in the woods during rifle season. Perhaps time to purchase a bullet proof vest...
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Rynamo

Unread postby Rynamo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 am

I remember back in the mid ‘90’s, a woman in northern WI arrowed a moose that wandered over from the UP. Probably no relation.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 am

Wow, hopefully she loses license for a few years. That is just unacceptable to do as a deer hunter......
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am

I could see a new hunter making a mistake. But aren't "all" new hunters in WI now required to taker hunters ed? No matter of age. So stuff like that should have been covered in class!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 am

Accidents happen. While this was preventable, at least it's not a story about a hunter accidentally shooting another hunter. She'll pay a fine and life will go on.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm

stash59 wrote:I could see a new hunter making a mistake. But aren't "all" new hunters in WI now required to taker hunters ed? No matter of age. So stuff like that should have been covered in class!!!

If you were born before Jan 1st 1973 you are exempt.

One major rule was violated here.

“Be Sure Of Your Target And Beyond”

Betting she was real excited about the two big “bucks” she shot until learning of her mistake. If your not sure of your target DO NOT shoot. This is clearly taught in Hunter Safety. Obviously she needs some game identification training. One time could be a mistake but twice is beyond ridiculous. You would think hunting in an area where elk live people would be completely aware of the difference. Guess we should never assume common sense comes into play in anything these days.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:I could see a new hunter making a mistake. But aren't "all" new hunters in WI now required to taker hunters ed? No matter of age. So stuff like that should have been covered in class!!!

If you were born before Jan 1st 1973 you are exempt.

One major rule was violated here.

“Be Sure Of Your Target And Beyond”

Betting she was real excited about the two big “bucks” she shot until learning of her mistake. If your not sure of your target DO NOT shoot. This is clearly taught in Hunter Safety. Obviously she needs some game identification training. One time could be a mistake but twice is beyond ridiculous.

Unless she shot the 2nd 1 thinking it was the same animal. I did that with a doe once. Ended up with 2 dead does. Thankfully my buddies had more doe tags.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Accidents happen. While this was preventable, at least it's not a story about a hunter accidentally shooting another hunter. She'll pay a fine and life will go on.

I agree. I hope she is embarrassed ( I would be). That fine should reinforce the importance of being careful with a firearm.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Perhaps that hunter should go coyote hunting in the north. I hear they grow really big up there. ;)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Now she is going to have to hear for the next 40 years "don't shoot an elk" EVERY time she goes hunting :lol: :lol:
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Now she is going to have to hear for the next 40 years "don't shoot an elk" EVERY time she goes hunting :lol: :lol:

My suspicion is it may be 40 years before she goes hunting again. Mistake or not, I imagine this one will come with a pretty hefty time period for loss of privileges.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Kraftd wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Now she is going to have to hear for the next 40 years "don't shoot an elk" EVERY time she goes hunting :lol: :lol:

My suspicion is it may be 40 years before she goes hunting again. Mistake or not, I imagine this one will come with a pretty hefty time period for loss of privileges.

I hope she doesn't have a loss of hunting privileges.....I don’t know how the law reads, but to me this wouldn't rise to that level of offense/punishment.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Kraftd wrote:

I hope she doesn't have a loss of hunting privileges.....I don’t know how the law reads, but to me this wouldn't rise to that level of offense/punishment.

Don't necessarily disagree with you, and as scary as it seems, this really does seem like an honest mistake, but for something this high profile, not sure that will matter. Bad situation all around from both the loss of the resource and have to have some sympathy for her. Man, that said, TWO?????
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:54 pm

If she is from a small town, she's gonna be pretty popular. Go down in history as the woman who not only mistakenly shot one elk, but TWO!! I can only imagine the grief she'd get in the group I grew up with. A lot of the time the young hunters were afraid to shoot only to risk missing a deer and getting made fun of. Hey at least she didn't miss! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”