John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: John Eberhart

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:09 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:I think that regardless of wether or not you think a deer will smell you, to continuously be successful it is imperative that you need to pay attention to and learn how deer use the wind. It is beyond me how a successful hunter can say they dont pay attention to the wind. It is also beyond me how anyone who has that knowledge would intentionally put themself in a position to be at a disadvantage to a deers number one defense mechanism.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the topic as well.

Some of JE's talking points make some sense. For example prepping trees/areas at the end of the season and then staying out of there until the day you hunt. Don't go back in the spring, summer, preseason. Have lots of trees prepped. Then some of his other talking points make me scratch my head. Paying zero attention to the wind for example. His strong support/belief in ScentLok would be another one.

Take what you will from what he is willing to share. Maybe some things resonate with you, maybe some other stuff doesn't.

I do personally believe ScentLok is a farce though. I don't think they're the only company trying to cash in on hunters who are desperately trying to improve their chances either.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:33 am

Dont care what john eberhart posts. Scent lok posts, nor any other scent killing products say.
You will never ever ever beat a deers nose 100%.
Especially mature bucks and anyone who says they do.
Must not realize what happened or happens when they think they do.
So this song and story being sung or narrated to the wrong group :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 am

His huntings methods work good for high pressured ground just like Dans. I don’t believe in scent lok tho
BoTheHunter

Unread postby BoTheHunter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:09 am

Hawthorne wrote:His huntings methods work good for high pressured ground just like Dans. I don’t believe in scent lok tho

I agree, Hawthorne check pms.
dsayer

Unread postby dsayer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:33 am

If anyone's scent control regimen is going to work, it's John's. He covers a lot of bases that most people never consider (backpacks, release, etc.). I heard a podcast with him saying that he leaves his rubber boots outside for a couple years before he starts using them. That's a level of dedication that might work... I just have zero interest in going that route.

Wind and thermal awareness/discipline >>>>> Scent control if you ask me.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:25 am

Here’s what I think about Johns validity of scent control.
I do believe he can alter the amount of scent he puts out but to say he’s eliminating it, no way

I’ve realized long ago how good a deer is at picking up human scent, but the amazing thing to me is not just that but they also know how close that scent source is to them.

Anyone who’s spent considerable time chasing whitetails has seen the gamut of responses from deer when they wind you.
Anywhere from casual look in your direction from a young naive deer to a total about face in midstride and outta there like now response from a mature deer when they get a nose full.
I guess, with an extreme scent control regimen like John’s
If you could fool a deer into thinking you are much farther away than you really are it may possibly give him a few seconds more for a shot.???
So if that would be what he’s claiming I’d believe it somewhat otherwise total scent elimination, no way.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm

I do both...hunt the wind and try to keep scent free. Seems to work pretty good for me. Where I hunt the deer come from all directions and the wind swirls a lot so even hunting the wind isnt 100%
I take my Bowhunting seriously

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”