First Aid...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

First Aid...

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes, I am a highly accident prone knucklehead who has bad luck in the self inflicted injury dept. I’ve had a personal best run of no injuries for over a year that came to a end tonight.
While taking out the trash I went to sling the trash bag into a roll around lil dumpster and a dang top of some open canned goods caught me just above the elbow and butterflied the sucker to the bone.

Nothing serious but one of those spots that leave u bleeding like a stuck hog. Tried numerous things to stop the bleeding with no luck. Then I remembered something a old timer told me years ago. He said always keep a cheap thing of super glue in your pack or pocket while hunting. He was field dressing a deer and a piece of Broadhead caught him at the wrist. I blew it off, but after today I’m a believer. It makes a instant scab and stops the bleeding asap.

If anyone else knows any good tips drop em. Crazy stuff happens out there and simple things often make the diff.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
The Mediocre Hunter

Re: First Aid...

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:36 pm

That sucks man. One thing I carry, that I hope I never have to use is one of those snakebite kits. Supposed to be able to pull the poison out enough til you get some medical help. But being in an area that we have cottonmouths, copperheads, and Rattlers, I'd much rather have it and not need it.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Insane!!! I guarantee that first aid is not something on folks mind when they pack their bag for a sit!
And I agree about the super glue, but just note how insanely horrible the burn will be when applying ! Lol
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:14 pm

I carry a filthy hanky.....have first aid kit in the truck.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:41 pm

I send my wife coordinates of where I parked and where I setup. If I have signal.

Best save my but thing i carry is a leatherman style multi tool. It's not really great at anything but it can be used to do many things. It saved me when my carabiner was frozen and I couldn't unscrew it. I've pulled many thorns out with it. But I could also tighten a screw with it if needed.

Also carry a roll of electrical tape for make shift bandaids. But I can use it for 50 other things if needed.

I use paracord for a pullup rope. But it's a drag, sling, turnicate plus others.

I try to carry the least amount, but what I do carry I try to have it be multi use.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:37 pm

Boogie I have a couple close friends that are also prone to self inflicted injuries. :lol: :lol:
Just another thing that makes them a blast to be around. (As long as theyre not serious injuries). We should start a thread of mishaps we have either seen or had, that someone seen and couldn’t stop laughing :lol:

I have heard if using superglue for fast wound closure. If it was a cut bad enough I suppose id try it, but then id be worried about contamination or infection.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 pm

backstraps wrote:Boogie I have a couple close friends that are also prone to self inflicted injuries. :lol: :lol:
Just another thing that makes them a blast to be around. (As long as theyre not serious injuries). We should start a thread of mishaps we have either seen or had, that someone seen and couldn’t stop laughing :lol:

I have heard if using superglue for fast wound closure. If it was a cut bad enough I suppose id try it, but then id be worried about contamination or infection.

Blood loss will kill you a lot faster than an infection will. I’ve used superglue on cuts numerous times. The only difference between medical grade super glue and consumer grade is a sterilized bottle from the factory. The superglue itself will not allow bacteria to grow due to the solvent.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:38 pm

CRK925 wrote:
backstraps wrote:Boogie I have a couple close friends that are also prone to self inflicted injuries. :lol: :lol:

Blood loss will kill you a lot faster than an infection will. I’ve used superglue on cuts numerous times. The only difference between medical grade super glue and consumer grade is a sterilized bottle from the factory. The superglue itself will not allow bacteria to grow due to the solvent.

I totally agree “if the wound is bad enough” Id use it or whatever measures are needed to stop the bleeding

Cool and interesting fact about the grade differences

I bet Boogie could be a modern day MacGyver in given situations :lol: :lol:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:49 am

Hunters don't cry :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 am

With super glue you should really be gluing skin to skin. Pinch the wound together then apply, don't just gob glue over an open wound. You should keep a first aid kit close by at all times, vehicles, work stations, home work shops. And put useful stuff in it, including and especially a tourniquet. I'm always amazed how often stuff like this happens and people are unprepared (Not say you were, since you handled it yourself).
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 am

backstraps wrote:
CRK925 wrote:

I totally agree “if the wound is bad enough” Id use it or whatever measures are needed to stop the bleeding

Definitely not a MacGyver :lol: If anything I could write a book on exactly what not to do. Years ago a non venomous snake almost cost me my leg with a stupid move. Bad bleeding is the biggest worry for me, I’m more than a hour away from any medical facility. If I can keep from killing myself b4 I get there I’m usually ok. But then again I’m often my own worst enemy lol
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:15 am

Redman232 wrote:With super glue you should really be gluing skin to skin. Pinch the wound together then apply, don't just gob glue over an open wound. You should keep a first aid kit close by at all times, vehicles, work stations, home work shops. And put useful stuff in it, including and especially a tourniquet. I'm always amazed how often stuff like this happens and people are unprepared (Not say you were, since you handled it yourself).

Yes sir, you are deff correct with pinching wound close and not just slapping glue all over the place. In my case I was at home and had better options available. I have a first aide kit and numerous other things. Problem was the location of wound and being alone. Doctoring the back of your dominant arm with only my weak arm was a problem and was taking to long.
-John Wayne-
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 am

Uhhh... go get yoself some stitches.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:45 am

elk yinzer wrote:Uhhh... go get yoself some stitches.

Only reason I didn’t is in many other cases where I had a wound right at a joint they told me unless I’m just bed ridden I’m gonna rip em out. I’m not to macho for stitches I’ve had a lot of em. Not ruling em out for this but right now it’s scabbed pretty good and I don’t care about a ugly scar on back of my arm.
-John Wayne-
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:17 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
backstraps wrote:
CRK925 wrote:

Definitely not a MacGyver :lol: If anything I could write a book on exactly what not to do. Years ago a non venomous snake almost cost me my leg with a stupid move. Bad bleeding is the biggest worry for me, I’m more than a hour away from anyMENTAL facility. If I can keep from killing myself b4 I get there I’m usually ok. But then again I’m often my own worst enemy lol

FIFY :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”