Shoot a 2nd arrow? Or leave him be...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Do you shoot the buck again if he stays in range? Or be patient and let him die?

If I have ANY opportunity, I’m putting a 2nd shot on that deer regardless of placement of the first shot.
89%
If I think my shot was good, I’m not shooting a 2nd time. There’s no need.
11%

Total votes: 138
Jackson Marsh

Re: Shoot a 2nd arrow? Or leave him be...

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:43 am

No question in my mind. Keep shooting. "Perfectly shot" deer are often not recovered. ...our mind plays tricks on us and sometimes what we see isn't exactly what happened.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am

What's the video?

If I 100% know I passthrough double lunged him, I'll wait for him to tip. Any doubt whatsoever, I am emptying the quiver.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:32 am

Shoot him again every time. I’m ultimately trying to kill an animal as quickly as possible and as Stash said, the more holes they have the more blood loss.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:49 am

My first bear I put three arrows in him. One from the tree and two from the ground at less than 10 yards. Wanted to make darn sure he was dead. Teeth and claws tends to do that.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:40 am

Most of the time I am shooting a 2nd arrow, but I didn't vote because it does depend on the situation. I remember one buck that I shot and by the time I got another arrow he had bedded down. He was within range, but I knew my shot was good but just a touch low. Seen blood coming out good right after the shot. I was ready to shoot if he ever tried to regain his feet. He was dead within a minute or two. He was laying facing me so a 2nd shot opportunity wasn't that great either. That situation doesn't happen very often though and most of the time I will put a 2nd shot in them if I can.

Now a gun is a little different especially for doe as I don't want to waste meat if I am confident in my original shot. I am not plugging one thru the back end as it runs away if I know I had a solid hit thru the chest.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:02 pm

I tracked a buck two years ago for a buddy. He shoots, buck runs off, few seconds later buck comes back through and stops and eventually walks off. My buddy already hung his bow up and was busy texting me that he just "smoked" one. Reality is, he liver shot him. Out of all the deer I've tracked I've never seen one come back through in range until then.

I always do two things, 1 keep my eyes on the deer and listen and 2 reload. This is one of the reasons I keep my quiver on so I don't have to look while getting another arrow. With a gun I do the same thing next round is getting loaded immediately.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:22 pm

treeroot wrote:I tracked a buck two years ago for a buddy. He shoots, buck runs off, few seconds later buck comes back through and stops and eventually walks off. My buddy already hung his bow up and was busy texting me that he just "smoked" one. Reality is, he liver shot him. Out of all the deer I've tracked I've never seen one come back through in range until then.

I always do two things, 1 keep my eyes on the deer and listen and 2 reload. This is one of the reasons I keep my quiver on so I don't have to look while getting another arrow. With a gun I do the same thing next round is getting loaded immediately.

Ugh, trying to emulate the tv hunters.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:31 pm

It’s about impossible to know in the moment what that arrow actually hit. 100% of the time I’m shooting another arrow if there is a shot opportunity. Same goes for rifle hunting if an opportunity presents itself I’ll shoot it again until it’s down. My dad years ago ripped me a new one for admiring a shot. Might as well put them down as soon as possible if able.
Persistence is undefeated.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Like others have said, I’m putting arrows in him until he’s down, out of range, or I’m out of arrows.
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:42 pm

No question to put a second shot in him!

I keep shooting until I can't any more. You owe it to that animal, to kill it as quickly as you possibly can!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
MarshRunner1

Unread postby MarshRunner1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Shoot until its dead or you cant shoot anymore... no brainer. Not sure my adrenaline would spike if shot a second time :lol:
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Lockdown wrote:There’s a video going around online of a bow kill where a buck stands in front of a hunter after the shot. You can see the hit was fairly low and blood is easily visible coming out of the exit hole. It takes 2 minutes for the buck to bleed out and tip over. The entire time the buck is in easy bow range, often giving a nice broadside shot at roughly 15-20 yards.

Some guys say “what the heck is that guy doing filming?!? Get a 2nd shot in him!!”

Other people are saying there’s no need for a 2nd shot. That would just add suffering and possibly send the buck running and who knows where he’ll end up!

What would you do in that situation?

Despite seeing the hole, if he's on his feet for more than 10 or 15 seconds all bets are off. Make it rain.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 pm

For me, the fact if I can get another shot on the deer, it may make the death faster is enough.

BUT, learning a lesson the hard way and watching my daughter lose a super nice 10pt due to me not having her put another in him, well we can say WE BOTH learned a lesson there
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 pm

2nd shot no doubt.
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:09 am

The last THP video had the exact same situation in it, and I agree with all of you guys, get that second shot in. One thing to mention is trying to contain your emotions for that second shot. This is a situation that is ripe for rushing and making a bad shot on the follow up.

So for the more experienced killers, what are your tips for in that moment to ensure your second shot is better than you first? The goal of shooting a second time is to improve the kill efficacy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”