THP and Using a Decoy - POLL

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you use a deer decoy at any point during season?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 106
rockne023

THP and Using a Decoy - POLL

Unread postby rockne023 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:02 pm

I've noticed the THP boys using a decoy a lot more in recent videos, and although I have never personally used one, I know a lot of guys that swear by them this time of year. I thought it'd be cool to take a poll and see how many guys on here use them versus how many do not. If you do, what do you like about it? If you don't, is there a particular reason why?

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: THP and Using a Decoy - POLL

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:08 pm

I don't because I only hunt public land and it's too much to carry.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm

I selected NO. Not that I couldnt see it working, but I think for me in the areas I hunt it would take the right scenario and I aint smart enough to tell when and when not to use a decoy.

I know guys that use them and have some awesome footage of bucks killing their decoys, and either running off afterwards OR taking that arrow just before attacking the decoy. Looks like a ton of fun!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:09 pm

I would if I had one that’d work
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I don't because I only hunt public land and it's too much to carry.

Same here. Just not realistic where I hunt. If I owned my own land I would probably give it a try.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:52 pm

I said yes. In certain situations they are a great tool. Especially in open areas or places where you're trying to bring a buck to a certain area. Have also had them blow a hunt by spooking does and small bucks. But man is it something else to see one come in to the decoy stiff legged or blow up the deke
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:49 pm

Hunting low pressure states you could have success. Put that thing out during Wisconsin’s gun opener and it’s Swiss cheese.
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

I just watched their last video, what was there around 8 bucks in that little cove. Most states you would be lucky to shag a nubber out of there. Awesome hunt and great video. There’s a reason the thp boys moved to Iowa.
rockne023

Unread postby rockne023 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:33 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I don't because I only hunt public land and it's too much to carry.

I agree 100%. I think they are a great tool to bring deer within shooting range, but the size bulkiness adds too much weight to a pack.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:32 am

rockne023 wrote:I've noticed the THP boys using a decoy a lot more in recent videos, and although I have never personally used one, I know a lot of guys that swear by them this time of year. I thought it'd be cool to take a poll and see how many guys on here use them versus how many do not. If you do, what do you like about it? If you don't, is there a particular reason why?

The THP videos I've watched, their decoy is more like a shield to hide behind. Those boys get it done and are very aggressive - a decoy to hide behind is a great asset when crossing open fields to get on top of a buck.

I'd only use a decoy if I was calling deer.
MarshRunner1

Unread postby MarshRunner1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:05 pm

I don't, too much to carry around but that doesn't mean they aren't effective. Heck if i saw a naked chick standing all on her own I'd go and check it out :lol: A friend of my grandpas uses a decoy but said after two sits the does would get scared of it
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:11 pm

If I was throwing a last minute Hail Mary at a buck MAYBE but we’re in at if you’re patient and wait for the right conditions and have done your homework in the spring, you don’t even need a grunt call.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:14 pm

It looks like a blast, I'm going to put in for a Kansas tag next year and try it down there if I draw.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:20 pm

I’ve tried it never got a buck from it.Didn’t put much time into it. I’ll sell mine if anyone is interested. Sitting in my garage for a few years
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:22 pm

I used a decoy a few times and had success bringing in small bucks, my issue is the noise transporting and setting them up. I dabble in taxidermy and thinking of getting a full body manican and making my own decoy that will still break down. I like playing with ideas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”