THP and Using a Decoy - POLL

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you use a deer decoy at any point during season?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 106
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: THP and Using a Decoy - POLL

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:24 pm

I answered yes. Sort of anyway

We are not allowed to use one in Massachusetts but it is allowed in Connecticut in the early (September 15th through mid November) and late (January) archery seasons.

I have a Montana Dreamy Doe decoy that I have used a few times. I opted for a doe decoy as it is the most versatile and the easiest to transport. I added a couple of white and brown feathers for some movement.

Probably the funniest story was watching another Archery hunter and his son stalk it. When he brought up the bow for his shot I asked sled him not to shoot my decoy. :lol: It was a pretty funny to see his reaction.

I’m interested in reading others experiences.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:30 pm

I have mixed results that leave me feeling squirly. Results are based on both pressured public/private. I’ve had numerous close encounters I give the credit to a well thought out decoy and at the same time I’ve had just as many encounters having a buck run for the hills from just the sight of it.

I tend to use em when I don’t have much of a shot lane and I just want a buck to stop on his own momentarily to provide a shot opportunity. Or when I got a very fudgy wind to work with but the timing is right 4 me to be in an area. I use the decoy hoping he will swing but into it b4 he hits my stench. Works occasionally and fails often. But in the particular cases I’m not smart enough to figure out what else to do.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:01 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Probably the funniest story was watching another Archery hunter and his son stalk it. When he brought up the bow for his shot I asked sled him not to shoot my decoy. :lol: It was a pretty funny to see his reaction.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will shoot a decoy. I can see shooting the ones that game wardens use to catch road hunters, because those lowlifes are generally shooting as fast as they can when they see one from the road...but to actually stalk one? :lol:

I've never ran across someone using a deer decoy on public, but I can't count how many times I've come upon turkey decoys in the spring. Usually from hundreds of yards away...and even then if you can't tell they're just decoys after 30 seconds to a minute of watching them, somethings wrong with you :think:
Last edited by Racks&Beards on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:01 am

edit. oops...double post
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
dsayer

Unread postby dsayer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:53 am

I'm currently limited to hunting muzzleloader and gun seasons on public land in Alabama near the largest city in the state. No thanks... Sounds real scary.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:17 am

Racks&Beards wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:Probably the funniest story was watching another Archery hunter and his son stalk it. When he brought up the bow for his shot I asked sled him not to shoot my decoy. :lol: It was a pretty funny to see his reaction.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will shoot a decoy. I can see shooting the ones that game wardens use to catch road hunters, because those lowlifes are generally shooting as fast as they can when they see one from the road...but to actually stalk one? :lol:

I've never ran across someone using a deer decoy on public, but I can't count how many times I've come upon turkey decoys in the spring. Usually from hundreds of yards away...and even then if you can't tell they're just decoys after 30 seconds to a minute of watching them, somethings wrong with you :think:

I stalked one in Kansas last year. I give the guy a lot of credit on his setup. He had a doe decoy setup on the edge of what looked to be a feeding area and a buck decoy kind of on the edge of the timber. It was during the lockdown phase of the rut and it looked like a buck tending a doe. The guy also had tissue on the doe tail so it looked like the tail was occassionally flicking in the wind. I got to about 125-150 yards and when I glassed again, I just started laughing when I realized I was stalking decoys. I never did see the guy, but I would have tipped my cap to him on the realistic looking setup.
rockne023

Unread postby rockne023 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 am

Hawthorne wrote:I’ve tried it never got a buck from it.Didn’t put much time into it. I’ll sell mine if anyone is interested. Sitting in my garage for a few years

Which one do you have?
rockne023

Unread postby rockne023 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:30 am

dsayer wrote:I'm currently limited to hunting muzzleloader and gun seasons on public land in Alabama near the largest city in the state. No thanks... Sounds real scary.

This would be a fear of mine too. I've read about guys putting blaze orange tape on the antlers or legs or the decoy to help, but definitely still a risk
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 am

dsayer wrote:I'm currently limited to hunting muzzleloader and gun seasons on public land in Alabama near the largest city in the state. No thanks... Sounds real scary.

I would never use one during any gun season. Either. It would be too damn dangerous with some of the yahoos we have here.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
rockne023

Unread postby rockne023 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:31 am

MarshRunner1 wrote:I don't, too much to carry around but that doesn't mean they aren't effective. Heck if i saw a naked chick standing all on her own I'd go and check it out :lol: A friend of my grandpas uses a decoy but said after two sits the does would get scared of it

I have heard this as well...that decoys tend to scare does, but are more effective at bringing in a territorial buck that wants to run it off.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:04 am

Agree with others on gun seasons and public. Too scary in most cases. I Have taken mine on public hunts but mostly sets where I can paddle in to my tree and dump it 30 yards off the bank I'm hiding on with my wind blowing back over my entry.

Like calling have to really think about wind and approach. If the set allows them to get downwind out of range easy, probably going to blow more out than pull in, but planning correctly they can work very well.

My favorite tactic with them is paired with calling, where without the decoy the buck will likely hang up out of range when he can't see the deer. I also got a down this year that was not happy about my buck decoy but she was so annoyed by it she hung around even after she busted me drawing at 5 yards and gave me a shot at 20. Usually does hate them though has been my experience. For that reason I generally leave it home during the heart of the rut or when I'm in doe travel corridors or bedding where my best shot is a doe bringing a buck by me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”