Opening day rifle season tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Newb
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/nate.hommerding

Opening day rifle season tactics

Unread postby Newb » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:01 am

What is everyone’s approach to opening morning? This is my second year hunting on public land for rifle opener and I have two locations in mind with the forecasted wind. Location 1 gets little to no pressure, hunting the edge of bedding. Location 2 is a bigger tract but gets a lot more pressure but the forecasted wind would give me a good wind to sneak into an area that I scouted two weeks ago where I bumped a buck and a few does and found good sign. And majority of the other hunters will be accessing the piece up wind of this area. Have people had more success with hopes of other hunters bumping deer to them or trying to get away from the people and find deer still moving naturally?

Racks&Beards

Re: Opening day rifle season tactics

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 am

If I'm on public, my number 1 tactic is to not get shot ;)

For real though, I think you're right on with your current game plans for both areas. I'd personally go to the area with less pressure and hunt them like you described. Be safe!
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:02 am

Newb wrote:What is everyone’s approach to opening morning? This is my second year hunting on public land for rifle opener and I have two locations in mind with the forecasted wind. Location 1 gets little to no pressure, hunting the edge of bedding. Location 2 is a bigger tract but gets a lot more pressure but the forecasted wind would give me a good wind to sneak into an area that I scouted two weeks ago where I bumped a buck and a few does and found good sign. And majority of the other hunters will be accessing the piece up wind of this area. Have people had more success with hopes of other hunters bumping deer to them or trying to get away from the people and find deer still moving naturally?

I'd hunt the area with less pressure too , unless you know the area that gets pressured and and you can predict where people wont go and then go hunt there , also sign from 2 weeks ago could be old sign by now because that sign was either made pre rut or mid rut depending on your area so the deer could've moved
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:35 am

My approach would be to hunt the piece with more pressure first in hopes of someone bumping a good deer by you, then later in the week move to the piece with minimal pressure. That is exactly how I’m going to be playing it next week here in WV. Good luck!
MarshRunner1

Unread postby MarshRunner1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm going in deep in some prime bedding that I haven't touched all year, besides when I was tracking a buck. Will also have the potential to have deer pushed to me if anyone enters the north side the property (pretty unlikely that anyone does but ya never know).
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:28 am

Our gun season wont open for another 2 weeks but we get together and do slow pushes. Usually those of us who take bow hunting way to seriously push to people who only hunt this 1 weekend a year. Everyone has fun. The goal is to get kids onto deer, kill does, and have fun.

Years back I'd get into the thickest nastiest areas and let other hunters bump deer to me.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:50 am

I'd go where I thought I had the best chance to shoot one. Follow your gut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”