One more day....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
EllieTheChubb

Re: One more day....

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:47 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:
dan wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:Dosent seem very ethical for the first shot after re-stringing to be at an animal. Even if its only ten yards. Dan just made a video about missing such a shot.

You can have your opinion, mine was / is that nothing should change. I should hit the same spot at 30 I did the day before... but, I still limited my self to 10 yards despite being sure I could shoot the same as before, and mainly because of the peep... not because it was restrung. Sights were never adjusted, not even after pulling it apart and fixing the peep, just took it out in the yard and dropped arrows in the target right where they should. Not trying to be mean here, but I have been around the block, had that bow in pieces many times, built new parts for it, etc... I dont need the ethics police to tell me how I should hunt or shoot... I pretty much worry about my own ethics not others, and a lot of people should learn from that.

Not trying to be the ethics police. Thats why I said "it doesn't seem" opposed to "thats not". Its all about personal beliefs. Personally I would need to sling an arrow into a stump and know its shooting properly.

Glad its all shooting straight. Good luck out there!

I should add that I understand when folks get defensive when ethics are brought up, there are alot of toxic forums out there where people just attack other people. Thats not what I was trying to do. I think its very productive to talk with other sportsman about what is ethical and I simply brought up my intital instinct of the situation. My intent was not to tell you you were wrong by hunting with the bow.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 am

You gotta enjoy the grind. I know exactly how exactly how you feel Dan. Once you pass 50 and realize your body isn’t 25 anymore you start to wonder how many of those hard physical days are left in you. The route you took to that spot mirrors much of what I do perfectly. My last island trip consisted of me falling face first in crotch deep water not once but TWICE on the way out in the dark fully loaded with stand/sticks on my back. Bow and everything was under water. :doh: It’s a struggle for sure for us older guys but we do it with no complaints because it’s what we love to do. I always say if the marsh swallows me up some day I will die a happy man. Just hope it doesn’t happen for at least another 30 years. :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:40 am

Dewey wrote:You gotta enjoy the grind. I know exactly how exactly how you feel Dan. Once you pass 50 and realize your body isn’t 25 anymore you start to wonder how many of those hard physical days are left in you. The route you took to that spot mirrors much of what I do perfectly. My last island trip consisted of me falling face first in crotch deep water not once but TWICE on the way out in the dark fully loaded with stand/sticks on my back. Bow and everything was under water. :doh: It’s a struggle for sure for us older guys but we do it with no complaints because it’s what we love to do. I always say if the marsh swallows me up some day I will die a happy man. Just hope it doesn’t happen for at least another 30 years. :lol:

You guys act like you are 90 year old broken down old men :lol:

I'll grant you the day after day grind during the rut is tough, but you two aren't ready for the glue factory yet. ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:52 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:You gotta enjoy the grind. I know exactly how exactly how you feel Dan. Once you pass 50 and realize your body isn’t 25 anymore you start to wonder how many of those hard physical days are left in you. The route you took to that spot mirrors much of what I do perfectly. My last island trip consisted of me falling face first in crotch deep water not once but TWICE on the way out in the dark fully loaded with stand/sticks on my back. Bow and everything was under water. :doh: It’s a struggle for sure for us older guys but we do it with no complaints because it’s what we love to do. I always say if the marsh swallows me up some day I will die a happy man. Just hope it doesn’t happen for at least another 30 years. :lol:

I'll grant you the day after day grind during the rut is tough, but you two aren't ready for the glue factory yet. ;)

Your only 45......give it a few more years. :lol:

At 45 I thought I was invincible and could still do anything. Crazy how things have changed in 5 short years. Once you pass over the 50 hump it all starts to fall apart and the body doesn’t want to function like it used to. All the old guys warned me and I just laughed at them. No way that ain’t happening to me! They were right. :o

Just glad I have a strappin’ young fella that’s more than willing to help me drag a buck out. ;)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:59 am

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

Your only 45......give it a few more years. :lol:

At 45 I thought I was invincible and could still do anything. Crazy how things have changed in 5 short years. Once you pass over the 50 hump it all starts to fall apart and the body doesn’t want to function like it used to. All the old guys warned me and I just laughed at them. No way that ain’t happening to me! They were right. :o

Just glad I have a young strappin’ fella that’s more than willing to help me drag a buck out. ;)

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm kind of on the skinny side....we need to recruit some young 25 year old powerlifters :lol:

AND remember the good spots are all located by the parking lot...promise :mrgreen:
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:21 am

Boy sure sounds like you guys need a bowflex. Commercials say they're 72 and in the best shape of their life.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 am

treeroot wrote:Boy sure sounds like you guys need a bowflex. Commercials say they're 72 and in the best shape of their life.

Actually have one in my basement. I say it’s false advertising. :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 am

treeroot wrote:Boy sure sounds like you guys need a bowflex. Commercials say they're 72 and in the best shape of their life.

treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:27 am

Dewey wrote:

I can see it now. Dan Infalt video: Extreme workout tactics . I'm not sure if I see it Richard Simmons style dancing to the oldies, or him leading groups running through the marsh yelling "you have to want it."

I shouldn't pick I'm 36 going on 60.
RingChaser

Unread postby RingChaser » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:29 am

Dan, thanks the for sharing experiences like this. I think a lot of people need to understand and come to terms with the underlying message you are sending. The ability to cope and keep on keeping on with a good attitude is lacking in today's society.

How many of us would be able to get our bow re-strung and continue the hunt in the field? How many would even believe that they could do it? It is amazing what can be done when you want it bad enough.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:55 am

Awesome thread. I’m at 51 and still pounding it out. Just been alittle slow this year. Lol
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Life went so slow until 25. It’s like a switch flips and the years just start flying by.

Dan. Don’t take this the wrong way. But I love seeing someone as lethal as you struggle and show it off to everyone, it lets people know that this is real life stuff. And don’t let the internet negativity get to you man, like you said, just block em.

You know the guys who are intimate with the grind are in your corner rooting for you. Now go bloody up an arrow.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:26 pm

treeroot wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I can see it now. Dan Infalt video: Extreme workout tactics . I'm not sure if I see it Richard Simmons style dancing to the oldies, or him leading groups running through the marsh yelling "you have to want it."

I shouldn't pick I'm 36 going on 60.

Bowflex? Those are for hanging clothes out to dry right? :lol:

Question for Dan. At any point in that hunt were you tempted to bail and head back? I know if it were me, two parts of my brain would be arguing to go back and the other part of my brain would be saying shut up and keep pushing.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Dan, I was just able to watch this today. I actually stopped the video and looked at the time stamp.....thinking how I was going to reply how your first 3:40 seconds were spot on and identical to myself and my upbringing. I enjoyed the entire video! I really liked the comment about taking the dirt road bs the highway!!

Man I think so many people that may have been more “fortunate” in their upbringings, may have missed out on a lot of life lessons many of us learned at an early age.

I hope I can still beat the brush and get after those bucks when I get as old as you! (I think im two years behind ya :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Great video Dan I love the one more day perspective (outlook) I have only truly been hunting like a beast this year and I have gotten my but whooped getting places to hunt and I absolutely love it!!!!
Haste makes waste

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”