Ghillie/Ground /Cedars

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Ghillie/Ground /Cedars

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:54 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
DhD wrote:
kwaldeier wrote:Okay so I've been in a dry spell and I'm trying to get out of it. I have a huge cedar thicket that I hunt. Cedar, hedge,multifloral rose, tons of tiny limbs and stuff to get caught on or be in my way for a shot . I bought a ghillie top thinking it would help but man that thing gets stuck on everything and the head part of it is weird. Also When I go to sit in my chair I am not low enough to see under the "cedar line". So my questions are, use the ghillie or ditch it? What footwear to use when sneaking? What stool or chair could I use and still be "mobile" and turn for shots? (something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialt ... 545&sr=8-1)

I typically pack my ghillie suit until I get to where I'm going. Then put it on when I'm sitting. I have been using this turkey thugs stool which works good but can be very uncomfortable if you don't have a good back rest. I also sometimes will take a foam kneeling pad I got at Lowe's for like 10$ instead. That works well in the cold because I feel like it keeps me warmer by insulating me off of the ground.
Both of them are somewhat packable and light.

Screenshot_20191120-113711.pngScreenshot_20191120-113720.pngScreenshot_20191120-114400.png

That turkey seat has me intrigued, how high off the ground does it sit?

It's slanted some. The front is a little taller I think to accommodate having your but lower than your knees. I believe it's 6 to 8 inches, but I can measure it when I get home.

I have a seat real similar to that one but the legs don't fold up. Still it carries good and works well for ground hunting with a ghille

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:27 am

Southern Man wrote:
DhD wrote:
kwaldeier wrote:Okay so I've been in a dry spell and I'm trying to get out of it. I have a huge cedar thicket that I hunt. Cedar, hedge,multifloral rose, tons of tiny limbs and stuff to get caught on or be in my way for a shot . I bought a ghillie top thinking it would help but man that thing gets stuck on everything and the head part of it is weird. Also When I go to sit in my chair I am not low enough to see under the "cedar line". So my questions are, use the ghillie or ditch it? What footwear to use when sneaking? What stool or chair could I use and still be "mobile" and turn for shots? (something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialt ... 545&sr=8-1)

I typically pack my ghillie suit until I get to where I'm going. Then put it on when I'm sitting. I have been using this turkey thugs stool which works good but can be very uncomfortable if you don't have a good back rest. I also sometimes will take a foam kneeling pad I got at Lowe's for like 10$ instead. That works well in the cold because I feel like it keeps me warmer by insulating me off of the ground.

Screenshot_20191120-113711.pngScreenshot_20191120-113720.pngScreenshot_20191120-114400.png

It's slanted some. The front is a little taller I think to accommodate having your but lower than your knees. I believe it's 6 to 8 inches, but I can measure it when I get home.

I have a seat real similar to that one but the legs don't fold up. Still it carries good and works well for ground hunting with a ghille

You like the height of it? I like it but at times I'm divided. I haven't had one with solid legs but I've come to really like these that fold since I can throw it in my pack.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:32 am

Southern Man wrote:
DhD wrote:

You like the height of it? I like it but at times I'm divided. I haven't had one with solid legs but I've come to really like these that fold since I can throw it in my pack.

I have a small stool that I use also. But sometimes I feel I'm up a bit high on the stool, above the brush I'm hiding in. Also, on the side of a ridge, if the ground is slanted, the stool is uncomfortable. That small stool works great in those situations.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:42 am

Southern Man wrote:
I have a small stool that I use also. But sometimes I feel I'm up a bit high on the stool, above the brush I'm hiding in. Also, on the side of a ridge, if the ground is slanted, the stool is uncomfortable. That small stool works great in those situations.

That makes sense. If it's not too much of a slope, I'll kind of dig some to where is kind of level. I can't sit for long if I feel my back is contorted to one side or the other.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:46 am

kwaldeier wrote:
G-Patt wrote:I find my ghillie is bulky and accentuates any movement I make so I stopped using it. As for a chair, I use a ALPS Outdoorz Tri-Leg Hunting stool. Only sits 16 inches off the ground. It's perfect for tucking behind a small make-shift blind, trees or deadfalls. You can shoot a bow from it no problem; it's lightweight and fits in my hunting pack perfectly. Use it all the time and have killed deer with this set up. The only issue is your back is not supported, so sitting longer than 3 hours can be challenging.

What do you use on the ground instead of a ghillie?

I just dress in regular hunting camo. Nothing special really. I focus on the ambush style of ground hunting. For example, if I'm anticipating deer movement to come from my left, I will stack up deadfalls and other natural materials against a large tree on my left hand side if there isn't a pine or a cedar large enough to conceal me. When I hear or see a deer to my left, I will slowly move behind the deadfalls/tree and draw when I'm anticipating the deer to move into my shooting lane. Works pretty good. The downside is when they come from behind or to the right when you're expecting them from the left. Another downside is when you find a ton of fresh sign, but you can't find a spot within bow range to get concealed; probably a good spot for tree stand instead of being on the ground. Can't win all of the time I guess. LOL! Good luck!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”