Southern Indiana EHD update

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Southern Indiana EHD update

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:42 am

Talked to someone who did the Charlestown State Park hunt and he said there were 3 large (tow behind type I think) dumpsters loaded with bucks that had been found dead in the park from EHD. Anyone that knows the area, knows this is one of the primo places to hunt in the state. It only gets hunted by draw in hunt I think 4 times per year (2 - 2 day hunts).

He said the conservation officer stated it would take at least 3 years for the local herd to recover. I have talked to several other hunters around Clark County and it seems to be all bad news. Deer processors are seeing very few mature bucks brought in as compared to previous years.
Yes there are still some big bucks going down as you could see on Facebook but it seems pretty bad. Not sure how it compares to prior events like this. I know I have yet to see or get on cameras any of the bucks I had an eye on from last season. One guy I know that says he runs 17 cameras had not seen anything close to 150 inch bucks...so he says. Not sure how trustworthy he is but it reconciles with everyone else I have talked to.

Just throwing this out there, but if you had plans to travel to the area, you may want to consider a different county. I don’t know of any reports in adjoining counties but I do know it’s all over Clark County...Clark State Forestry was hit bad as well as most other properties in the area.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Southern Indiana EHD update

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:42 am

I heard similar reports from locals while I was in Indiana. One guy had found 27 dead on one of his private land spots. I found one dead while I was hunting but I cant confirm how it died.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:45 am

I have been hearing how bad it is and certainly hate that. I still have plans to explore your state this post season and hunt it next fall

EHD cant sure put a hurt on a herd that take many many years to recoop

One of my buddys and his hunting partner doubled this morning on some public land bucks in Hoosier
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:54 pm

backstraps wrote:I have been hearing how bad it is and certainly hate that. I still have plans to explore your state this post season and hunt it next fall

EHD cant sure put a hurt on a herd that take many many years to recoop

One of my buddys and his hunting partner doubled this morning on some public land bucks in Hoosier

As far as I know the rest of the state and even surrounding counties don’t have an issue.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”