pointers from this map

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

pointers from this map

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 am

I just wanted to ask if I could get some pointers from the guys that know maps really well. This is a piece of state land I found close to home and have not seen a truck in the lot yet. I have not gone everyday to check but have gone by a few weekends and have not seen people. It is only 60 acres but maybe a overlooked spot ? I want to hit it this weekend and give it a try. From the maps are there any places anybody could recommend ? Thanks!

Hildebrand

Re: pointers from this map

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:52 am

FC8FE959-937E-4A01-A086-D803BFA02CD7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PublicLand

Unread postby PublicLand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:29 am

Looks like all field and few trees up N? Dan's step ladder may pay off if gun hunting.
Is that trails along the creek?
parkerdurham
Facebook: Parker Durham

Unread postby parkerdurham » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:40 am

The first thing I would check out would be on both sides of the green square, which I assume is either a pond or thick cover? The field on the left and creek on the right create pinch points on both sides. Hard to say more without putting boots on the ground, but that would be the first spot I check out for sign. I would also see if I could find any sign of deer crossing the creek coming from the oxbow on the East side.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:27 am

East of that pound its all woods. There are trails around it because people do fish them in the summer. I walked that woods about 15 years about as a early teen because we use to live pretty close.At that time I was no hunter, and did not pay attention to deer sign lol

Yes, that back little patch use to have water in it but was not really deep. It may be dried up. I have no clue. I am going to put some boots down this weekend and see what I see.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 am

It is actually all woods back there. It looks like fields with random tress but it is not. It is gun season so I do plan to take my gun
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Hildebrand wrote:It is actually all woods back there. It looks like fields with random tress but it is not. It is gun season so I do plan to take my gun

From what I've read in a book, that that "L" Shaped field on your nap has what was called a double inside corner. From what I read in that book, the deer will stay in the woods just to the east of that as they travel through hugging the corners some 10 to 20 yds. I haven't found any area like that where I hunt so I can't verify that but the author of that book has had great success with some of those tactics. Let us know how it goes.
parkerdurham
Facebook: Parker Durham

Unread postby parkerdurham » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:39 pm

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Hildebrand wrote:It is actually all woods back there. It looks like fields with random tress but it is not. It is gun season so I do plan to take my gun

From what I've read in a book, that that "L" Shaped field on your nap has what was called a double inside corner. From what I read in that book, the deer will stay in the woods just to the east of that as they travel through hugging the corners some 10 to 20 yds. I haven't found any area like that where I hunt so I can't verify that but the author of that book has had great success with some of those tactics. Let us know how it goes.

"Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon?
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Thank you for the replies back. Nothing anybody says on my post goes unread and I take all info into consideration. I actually went out tonight to try and at least get some boots on the ground and just possibly scout the beginning and see what I could see and in the drive back a truck parked bc he didn’t wanna cross the puddle so that put a end to that right away
There is some more public across the creek but more people typically hunt it because it’s easier to park and get into spots. There wasn’t anybody in that lot so I put the boots on and hit the main path. Right out of the gate I was seeing lots of tracks. Good size tracks and eden fawns but tons of them. I wasn’t down the main path 30 yards and I had noticed a good used train in this mud about 15 yards off the main trail and I walked over to it and sure enough it was a highway coming across that creek from that woods I posted the map of. My mind and eyes were scanning every where because Dan always says them overlooked spots close and I was pretty close. So I got out of that and worked down the main path some more and to my left was a pond and and all around it it’s marshy/ swampy. And this little ridge runs along that and the path. I was probably 70 -80 yards down a path and noticed a nice trail coming out of the cattails and coming up that little ridge. So I slide down it in the mud and water and found a spot a kinda open that had a hump and a little little pine tree but didn’t see a bed. But I seen tons of tracks in this area. I set up on this ridge in a crappy tree with the wind in my face looking towards the pond. At 5 I heard some splashing and thought man somebody is walking back here and sure enough I see a deer and it’s a spike. He came out from that creek crossing, crossed the main path which he crossed my scent trail there but there’s no way to change that with the lay out of the land and he came down that ridge and walked that swamp going to the back of the pond to cross on higher ground. So I looked at a map afte that and noticed that the area I was in was a pinch point for them to cross back and forth around that pond. Was cool to use some beast style skills and see a deer: I did have a tag take him and my 450 bushmaster was looking for it’s first kill but I gave him a pass
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm

73372CFA-98E5-45B6-A075-3EF8E9E273E2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:11 pm

parkerdurham wrote:
"Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon?

Yessir. Do you have any insights on the book? I'm not so the way through it yet but working on it.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Hildebrand wrote:Thank you for the replies back. Nothing anybody says on my post goes unread and I take all info into consideration. I actually went out tonight to try and at least get some boots on the ground and just possibly scout the beginning and see what I could see and in the drive back a truck parked bc he didn’t wanna cross the puddle so that put a end to that right away
There is some more public across the creek but more people typically hunt it because it’s easier to park and get into spots. There wasn’t anybody in that lot so I put the boots on and hit the main path. Right out of the gate I was seeing lots of tracks. Good size tracks and eden fawns but tons of them. I wasn’t down the main path 30 yards and I had noticed a good used train in this mud about 15 yards off the main trail and I walked over to it and sure enough it was a highway coming across that creek from that woods I posted the map of. My mind and eyes were scanning every where because Dan always says them overlooked spots close and I was pretty close. So I got out of that and worked down the main path some more and to my left was a pond and and all around it it’s marshy/ swampy. And this little ridge runs along that and the path. I was probably 70 -80 yards down a path and noticed a nice trail coming out of the cattails and coming up that little ridge. So I slide down it in the mud and water and found a spot a kinda open that had a hump and a little little pine tree but didn’t see a bed. But I seen tons of tracks in this area. I set up on this ridge in a crappy tree with the wind in my face looking towards the pond. At 5 I heard some splashing and thought man somebody is walking back here and sure enough I see a deer and it’s a spike. He came out from that creek crossing, crossed the main path which he crossed my scent trail there but there’s no way to change that with the lay out of the land and he came down that ridge and walked that swamp going to the back of the pond to cross on higher ground. So I looked at a map afte that and noticed that the area I was in was a pinch point for them to cross back and forth around that pond. Was cool to use some beast style skills and see a deer: I did have a tag take him and my 450 bushmaster was looking for it’s first kill but I gave him a pass

That's cool man. Thanks for sharing.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:33 am

When I first read the topic and nobody had responded yet, I was going to say check for creek crossings. But then I decided to be quiet and learn from what others had to say. :shhh:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:06 am

The swamp and creek areas are new to me. The private land I hunt does not have creeks or anything in it. But my first attempt on stand land I seen a spike so that is a win for me. Maybe can build on this. Seen tons of big tracks and there is a clover field close
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 am

I don’t have any pointers that wasn’t already mentioned but I do recognize the area. I’ve never hunted it. I’ve scouted some of the public north of there. Good to see a fellow beast hunting it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”