Too Much Noise?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

peteherbst

Too Much Noise?

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 am

So I’ve been struggling to get on deer on public ground and have found I may need to get deeper into some pieces to see deer due to pressure this time of year.

My question is, how much noise is too much noise? I seem to run into good sign eventually, but by that time I’ve made a complete donkey of myself getting back into these places due to how thick it gets. I try to go as slow as possible but seem to always end up snagging a branch and breaking it or stepping in a bad spot.

How much noise is too much? What are you guys doing to make less noise?

“You have to pay your dues”
PublicLand

Re: Too Much Noise?

Unread postby PublicLand » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:01 am

Diaphragm turkey call.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am

Deer hear noise all the time. Do what you can to minimize but if you do mess up it doesn’t always mean your hunt is done unless they wind you. That’s why it’s so important to get in very early for an evening hunt. Gives things plenty of time to settle down plus the winds are usually a bit stronger earlier in the afternoon and then slow down as evening approaches. Midday with a gusty wind is a great time to sneak in.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:41 am

Taking your time And keeping the wind in your favor is key. Humans often move in cadences. The animals in the woods do not. You will spook animals. Its part of the game. Just get past it and continue mission. I sometimes wait til midday to go in if there is a good breeze blowing. A little bit of wind can help cover your noise.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:01 am

After a morning bow hunt I walked over to a blow down I normally gun hunt out of and kicked some leaves around so it would be quiet for the following weekend opener. I no more do that grab my bow n pack and was heading up will when from over the ridge come down an 8pt. to within 10 yards of me to investigate the noise he was hearing. I pulled out my phone and videoed the buck as he circled me and eventually walked off without ever really spooking to bad (he never could get down wind of me with the way I was positioned)

So in short I agree with others, try to keep it quiet but noise doesn't mean the hunts over.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 am

Agree with the go slow and vary your cadence. Deer hear plenty of critters moving around through out a day. Main thing is foreign noises, like metal. Those can be bad. Save the tougher, noisier routes for windy days, if need be. If you make a really loud noise, like a splash or break a larger branch. Stay still for an extra long time. So getting an early start helps. Like mentioned, during the rut it may actually call a buck in. So going slow and keeping your eyes open will help then as well. Just may get an impromtu shot!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:51 am

This time of year - I would be trampling through the brush tooting on my grunt call...

Don't laugh, I've had it work.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Went into an area tonight I scouted yesterday and set up. Was meticulous in getting in and setting up. Had an 8 point come in but messed up the shot. So onto some deer is a really good feeling after being frustrated most of the season.
“You have to pay your dues”
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:01 pm

I had bronchitis this fall for two weeks. I had a small buck come in and bed 40yds from me. I was hacking and coughing and it didn’t bother him. I had to leave my stand at mid day. When I snapped my fanny pack to my waist that caught his attention and he bolted. I guess deer cough and sneeze also. An unnatural noise he didn’t like
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Some good advice above. Deer likely won't spook on noise alone unless you are really close to them. They hear noises all the time. Now with that noise if they see you and/or smell you then that is likely a deal breaker for you.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I read or heard Dan say that when you do something Donkey/ Human like you just wait it out and deer will forget about it.

In the big woods I have this thing where I count (OCD trainmen like I know) :roll: .
I walk normal till I see sign then I start walk for twelve steps stand for twelve seconds. As I see more sign I adjust walk for 8 steps wait for twelve, then walk for 6...etc.
Keeps me very focused.
Last edited by sdonx on Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I think going slow and pausing every few steps helps. Plus it gives me time to look around or hear something bust out. Crunchy leaves don't bother me as much as ice crusted snow.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Turkey make a ton of racket. But deer and turkey hang out together often.
Within 100 yards of an expected stand location is where slow and quiet can make a difference. Unless it's rut and you are on a travel route set up.
So, really, it depends..... :shifty:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”