Not a shocker.... but Dan was right

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Recurve6

Not a shocker.... but Dan was right

Unread postby Recurve6 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:13 am

Found the beast not quite a year ago.... went back to some public I used to hunt but quit because I got sick of not seeing deer. Took a rain day and walked and walked these two ridges at the military crest - noted all the sign I found. After studying these tactics and spending a year learning I decided to go back there. After looking at big picture I figured where to set up - on top which was a switch for me. A few years ago I killed a pretty good buck in a bottom crossing and that one happy accident had me hunting these hills all wrong.

Saw 4 deer in my morning hunt - that's a win right there - but one of them was a decent 8 point chasing a doe. Bigger win. I chose not to shoot as he was smaller than the 10 point I killed a week prior (thanks to milkweed - another kudos to Dan and site!) but was in the game nonetheless.

Decided after the sit to walk out rest of ridge and drop into valley and climb adjacent ridge for walk out. Halfway up the hardwoods gave way to pines and thick nasty jungle mess. I have never hunted the pines because the sign was scarce as were the deer. Thinking I am not hunting "deer" but "A DEER" … I wanted to check it out. As I was climbing I hit a smoothed out place on hillside .. directly above about 6 feet away a pine tree is rubbed all to pieces along with other older rubs from previous years. Climbed rest of way to top and found rubs and scrapes everywhere.

So now I am really excited and as my mind is spinning I realize there is no way in to get to this deer.... BOOM - flashback to one of the many videos I have seen and Dan's comment was .. you will know it when you see it - you'll think there's no way to get to this thing. He's protected by 1000 yard long walk (no big deal) ridge from main road which last 200 is where old logging trail runs out and it's briars and grass and small pines... just nasty.... or the other way is to cross a 250 yard open hardwood bottom crunching leaves all the way then climb the 800 foot hill as he watches you and laughs.....

Several beds on top - so he's bedding in here with no visual protection - just the steep hill and briars to protect him from either side but he's gonna hear you coming.... am now studying how to approach this spot from all the angles and see what I can come up with to try to catch him coming out of sanctuary before dark...

More importantly I now have a barometer of what to look for so now I am going back over my property with new eyes as to what to look for and how to hunt this. Can't wait to get back out there. For Dan (obviously) and all the guys who have responded to various questions - both mine and others - thanks - hunting has never been more fun!

Lockdown

Re: Not a shocker.... but Dan was right

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:17 am

Man those bedding areas are fun to find aren’t they 8-)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 am

8-)

Most of us have had similar Ah Ha moments. Kind of exciting when you find a great bedding area.
Recurve6

Unread postby Recurve6 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:24 am

Not only fun Lockdown... but awesome to see my recurve or longbow are just as good a tool as my .308.... it's so thick you're not shooting more than 20 yards …. I've always wanted a bigger buck on the ground - these places are made for it!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”