Tenderloins & Heart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moarcher88

Tenderloins & Heart

Unread postby moarcher88 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Was fortunate enough to take a nice buck today and now the Tenderloins and Heart are awaiting the grill for tomorrow's dinner. In the past I've grilled them hot and fast with salt, pepper and garlic but was thinking of trying something new this time. What are your favorite recipes for there awesome cuts of meat?

EllieTheChubb

Re: Tenderloins & Heart

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:12 pm

I personally think a grill is the easiest way to ruin lean meat like vennison. Its just too easy to over cook it and dry it out.

The classic way to have heart around here is sauteed with butter and onions.

The tenders I like to salt and pepper (after patting dry) then trim the tips off. Brown all sides in a super hot dry cast iron. Then throw it in the oven on broil. eat the cooked trimmings while you wait 5 minutes. Rest. Perfection
Feeshon

Unread postby Feeshon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:07 am

Cut the tenderloin into little steaks and sear the outside two minutes each ( for rare ) or to preference in a cast iron skillet at high heat in a little olive oil, serve with capers. Got the recipe / method from a friend I hunted with - he always Sal,ed right up to the big buck on our man drives - he passed away suddenly about three years ago so it’s how we keep his memory alive now. The best.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:19 am

Your method is hard to beat! I generally agree on the grill not being best for lean meat, but tenderloin and heart are cuts that work well on it, imo. I usually grill my tenders then make horesradish sauce with some sour cream, horse radish, little salt and some chives.
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:43 am

Pickled venison heart

Cube heart, dry season to preference, let age in fridge a day.
Bring water to boil. Drop in, bring back up to boil, turn down to simmer, 3-4min. Dont over due it. Will still just have a touch of pink.

1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar.
Mustard seed, chilli flake, half tablespoon pickling spice.
Bring to boil.

Drain meat once time is up.
Pack qrt. jar with layers of thin sliced white onion and heart.
Cover with hot, not boiling pickle brine.
Add straight viniger if not fully covered.
Cap with lid, screw ring down tight, flip upside down an store in fridge.
Let sit 3 days, longer if u have the patience.
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:39 am

Slice the heart about quarter of an inch thick
In cast iron pan add Tbs of olive oil and Tbs of butter
Get sizzling add one sliced onion, clove garlic and caramelize.
Add heart, Tbs soy sauce and a splash of Worcestershire sauce, Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté till done how you like it

TenderLoin I like with Buck’s seasoning and fried in butter or on the grill with Buck’s.
Buck’s is a seasoning made by a CNY company
moarcher88

Unread postby moarcher88 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks for the ideas guy's, all sound great. I'll have to give those capers a try .
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:56 am

Like my tenderloins fried in bacon grease with onions and mushrooms. Lightly salted and peppered. With fried taters!

Heart lightly dusted with seasoned flour and fried in butter.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 am

stash59 wrote:Like my tenderloins fried in bacon grease with onions and mushrooms. Lightly salted and peppered. With fried taters!

I like how you think Stash. Keep it simple. 8-)

I would never think of adding all kinds of the extra spices and marinades to venison. I want my deer meat to taste deer not some fancy recipe that completely kills the wild venison flavor that I enjoy. That’s what beef is for.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:02 am

20151203_181833.jpg

For the Tenderloin...
1) Roast a head of garlic. Slice off top and add some olive oil, salt and pepper (400° for 25-30 minutes - you'll smell when done)
2) Make a small slit into loin w/a knife and stuff a clove into the loin about every 3/4 inch.
3) Dredge loin in salt and pepper seasoned flour and set to side.

4) Cut a 1/4# of bacon into 3/8" wide pieces and render, take out bacon and set aside.

5) Re-dredge in flour and on medium-high heat sear for about 1-2 mins / side until brown all over, then put on baking sheet.
6) Bake @ 400° for 7-10 minutes - needs a 130°-135° internal temp
7) Let rest for 10-minutes on cutting board w/ aluminum foil draped over the loin.

8) In pan add 8oz of 1/4" thick sliced mushrooms and saute for 5-6 minutes w/ S&P.
9) Add a 1/4 cup of Red wine and reduce - this will thicken...
10) Add 1/2 cup of beef broth and reduce by 1/2.
11) Add a teaspoon of ea. - thyme, parsley and butter, as well as the bacon, and turn off the heat.
12) Add the loin & juices back in for a minute per side (off-heat) and stir.

I like it with rice pilaf and carrots too, so I can see the next deer I'm gonna stuff in my frezza!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 am

More for backstraps than tenderloins:
Seared Encrusted Carpaccio of Venison

1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 handful fresh rosemary, finely chopped or a couple teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Light sprinkling dried oregano
1 piece of venison backstrap or eye of round, size to fit number of servings (1 eye of round serves 2)
About 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
Small handful fresh cilantro, finely diced
Cold pressed Sesame oil
Soy sauce, to taste
Juice of 1 or 2 limes

Mix the coriander, chopped rosemary, salt, pepper and oregano and sprinkle on a board or work surface. Roll and press the venison over this, making sure the meat is completely covered with the coating. In a very hot, DRY cast iron pan (do not oil the pan,) sear the meat for around 5 minutes until brown and slightly crisp on all sides. Remove from the pan. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing as thinly as possible (the inside should be raw to rare) and lay the sliced meat on a large plate. Gather the diced ginger. Flick these randomly over the sliced meat along with the jalapeno and cilantro so each piece has some. Drizzle with a very small amount of sesame oil, some soy sauce (not too much) and freshly squeezed lime juice.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 am

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:Like my tenderloins fried in bacon grease with onions and mushrooms. Lightly salted and peppered. With fried taters!

I like how you think Stash. Keep it simple. 8-)

I would never think of adding all kinds of the extra spices and marinades to venison. I want my deer meat to taste deer not some fancy recipe that completely kills the wild venison flavor that I enjoy. That’s what beef is for.

Great minds think alike, just fried up some tender loins in bacon grease last night. 8-)
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:38 pm

I love to cut up the heart and inner loins into small chunks and wrap up in the caul fat and then bake/fry in olive oil. Fricking fantastic. Season accordingly.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”