Saddle be stand comfort

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Saddle be stand comfort

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:49 am

I LOVE the mobility and stealth of my lone wolf setup I currently run.

It was older and had a TINY set. I swapped it for a bigger XOP top.

I wouldn't say I have a "bad back". But due to my job, I definitely have back issues. I go-to the chiropractor on a regular basis....

The majority of the time, I just can't take sitting in the lone wolf. I end up moving a ton. Flopping around, standing up etc. No good.

I need a solution and not sure what it is. Possibly a saddle? I have no idea. I am on the stocky side of the spectrum. 5-10ish.. Usually 225-230ish.

I have to invest in a saddle setup to find out that's just not comfortable for me.

I can sit in my Summit Viper all day.

Can anyone relate to back pain and saddle hunting??

Any other ideas??

You guys know what I am looking for as far as a setup. Mobile...quiet etc. I don't carry much to hunt. At best, a small pack with snacks and a drink. Range finder, GPS, headlamp to get out... really minimal.

Just don't know what direction to go for next season.

_Swamp_Stalker_

Re: Saddle be stand comfort

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 am

From what I have heard from a few users, the JX3 hybrid is more comfortable then a viper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wJeUiTKRQk
Joe
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:26 am

I doubt I’ll use my lw stuff much anymore. For me the saddle has way more advantages than a big metal stand. Get one, try it, if you don’t like it sell it. There are no shortage of guys looking for a saddle.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 am

mauser06 wrote:I LOVE the mobility and stealth of my lone wolf setup I currently run.

I wouldn't say I have a "bad back". But due to my job, I definitely have back issues. I go-to the chiropractor on a regular basis....

The majority of the time, I just can't take sitting in the lone wolf. I end up moving a ton. Flopping around, standing up etc. No good.

I need a solution and not sure what it is. Possibly a saddle? I have no idea. I am on the stocky side of the spectrum. 5-10ish.. Usually 225-230ish.

I have to invest in a saddle setup to find out that's just not comfortable for me.

Any other ideas??

You guys know what I am looking for as far as a setup. Mobile...quiet etc. I don't carry much to hunt. At best, a small pack with snacks and a drink. Range finder, GPS, headlamp to get out... really minimal.

I am going to a saddle setup for next season. I am tired of carrying the Viper around and having it catch on stuff while walking. I am hoping the comfort is pretty good in a saddle. The good thing is most of the saddle manufacturers have something like a 30 day return policy so the most you would be out would be some shipping if you don't like it. Right now with the wait times people are selling the used one for the same price as the new ones as people don't want to wait.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:57 am

mauser06 wrote:I LOVE the mobility and stealth of my lone wolf setup I currently run.

Any other ideas??

Comfort is the main reason I like my saddles. My back is really messed up and when hanging in a saddle it’s the only time I have zero pain. Been using my LW Alpha quite a bit lately in the colder weather we’ve been having and I’m really feeling it. It’s tough on the back no doubt.

I currently have a Kestrel, Mantis and JX3 Hybrid. My favorite by far is the Kestrel.

I can get set up and take down much quicker with a saddle since your basically wearing your treestand and safety harness so nothing extra to mess with. Climb the tree, hook into your tree tether and your hunting. A platform like the Predator is a game changer. If I had one when I first tried saddle hunting over 10 years ago I likely wouldn’t have given up so easily on it back then.
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Saddle vs stand comfort

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am

Thanx guys! May be "sold" on it. Lol. It will no doubt take some adjustment and learning....

Dewey, you touched on a concern of mine....Colt weather, bulky layers etc. Obviously the saddle has to go on the outside. Is that problematic?? My sits are usually extended in cold weather...more deer movement etc.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:16 am

mauser06 wrote:Thanx guys! May be "sold" on it. Lol. It will no doubt take some adjustment and learning....

Dewey, you touched on a concern of mine....Colt weather, bulky layers etc. Obviously the saddle has to go on the outside. Is that problematic?? My sits are usually extended in cold weather...more deer movement etc.

I think with a good pair of bibs or even coveralls you would be just fine at least into the 20’s. Below that or for extended rut sits I prefer my IWOM or HBS. Without modifying them which I don’t want to do it’s a little tougher to hunt out of them with a saddle. That’s the only reason I go back to my hang on or climbers and why I will never get rid of them. It’s nice to have multiple options.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:26 am

Dewey wrote:
mauser06 wrote:Thanx guys! May be "sold" on it. Lol. It will no doubt take some adjustment and learning....

I think with a good pair of bibs or even coveralls you would be just fine at least into the 20’s. Below that or for extended rut sits I prefer my IWOM or HBS. Without modifying them which I don’t want to do it’s a little tougher to hunt out of them with a saddle. That’s the only reason I go back to my hang on or climbers and why I will never get rid of them. It’s nice to have multiple options.

Be interesting to see with the increase in popularity if HBS or IWOM comes out next year with a suit that is saddle friendly out of the box.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:15 am

"platforms are a game changer"

This is what I dont get, when you add a platform its basically 90% of a treestand set up at that point. Same climbing process, bulkier harness, more rope equipment, smaller stand without a seat. I guess I just dont the hype.

Now if I could find some nice aluminum screw in steps to use to climb the tree and as the "platform" I would consider the switch.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:31 am

crankn101 wrote:"platforms are a game changer"

This is what I dont get, when you add a platform its basically 90% of a treestand set up at that point. Same climbing process, bulkier harness, more rope equipment, smaller stand without a seat. I guess I just dont the hype.

Now if I could find some nice aluminum screw in steps to use to climb the tree and as the "platform" I would consider the switch.

Platform is a little over 3lbs. Set up takes seconds and so much easier than a treestand. My HSS safety harness is actually much more bulkier and cumbersome than my saddle. More rope equipment?? I use a lineman belt and tree strap regardless so that’s a moot point. The bridge is no different than dealing with a safety harness tether. The saddle is your seat and way more comfortable than a treestand seat. My saddle, ropes and platform weigh under 10 lbs. My LW Alpha and safety harness weighs about 17 lbs. By your comments It’s pretty obvious you never tried a saddle. Give it a shot.....you may be surprised.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:48 am

Dewey wrote:

Platform is a little over 3lbs. Set up takes seconds and so much easier than a treestand. My HSS safety harness is actually much more bulkier and cumbersome than my saddle. More rope equipment?? I use a lineman belt and tree strap regardless so that’s a moot point. The bridge is no different than dealing with a safety harness tether. The saddle is your seat and way more comfortable than a treestand seat. My saddle, ropes and platform weigh under 10 lbs. My LW Alpha and safety harness weighs about 17 lbs. By your comments It’s pretty obvious you never tried a saddle. Give it a shot.....you may be surprised.

Bridge, ropeman and a couple biners...I honestly use most of that for my treestand hunting but could use less.

I use a climbing harness and an old school lonewolf assault, Im not sure of the weight but im guessing its lighter than yours. So I would be saving less than 10 pounds of weight and more likely closer to 8 or so.

Why can you set up a platform in seconds and why is it so much easier than a treestand?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 am

crankn101 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Bridge, ropeman and a couple biners...I honestly use most of that for my treestand hunting but could use less.

I use a climbing harness and an old school lonewolf assault, Im not sure of the weight but im guessing its lighter than yours. So I would be saving less than 10 pounds of weight and more likely closer to 8 or so.

Why can you set up a platform in seconds and why is it so much easier than a treestand?

Less bulk to carry up the tree and way easier to maneuver and position due to much lighter weight and profile size.

What many that don’t understand about saddle platforms is they are not meant to be stood on like a traditional treestand. Just basically a place to rest your feet as you lean or sit and used to push off to position for a shot around the tree. Plenty of other lighter options out there as well if a platform isn’t desired.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 am

I dont have a bad back as I'm still relatively young and pliable but the kestrel flex saddle I bought this year is more comfortable than any other stand ive sat in. Thats goes for the LW sit and climb and the summit cobra. Foot fatigue was a slight issue for the first two sits but once I figured things out I am so much better off and more comfortable in the saddle.
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:18 am

I have 2 herniated disks in my lower back. Sitting in a stand was unbearable after only a few short hours and as season went on and the temps dropped it just got worse and worse.

That’s when I started playing with a saddle. I am much more comfortable in a saddle. I tried most available currently Mantis, Kestrel, Flex, ambush lite and yarak. So far the yarak has been the most comfortable for me.

I have also tried a few platforms, ridge runner, predator and the ambush. I find a ring of steps give me the most comfort and maneuverability.

With the WE yarak, Tethrd gen 2 backband and a 5 squirrel step ring of steps. I can just fall asleep. Very comfortable...
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:24 am

Dewey wrote:
crankn101 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Less bulk to carry up the tree and way easier to maneuver and position due to much lighter weight and profile size.

What many that don’t understand about saddle platforms is they are not meant to be stood on like a traditional treestand. Just basically a place to rest your feet as you lean or sit and used to push off to position for a shot around the tree. Plenty of other lighter options out there as well if a platform isn’t desired.

10/4

To me less bulk on my back while maneuvering through bushes and ditches would be a huge plus. We will see, I have had a sit drag laying around for a few years now that I might put to work

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”