Too Much Bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigBrutus11

Too Much Bedding?

Unread postby BigBrutus11 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:39 pm

There's so much timber down up here from the July 19 storms, it will take all winter and next summer to clean up, and that probably won't even be enough. Can there be such a thing as too much bedding cover? Is there a way to breakdown huge blow down areas like Dan does with marshes/ swamps? One upside to it is there are very few hunters trying to hunt the WMA near me :D :D :doh:

Dan T

Re: Too Much Bedding?

Unread postby Dan T » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 am

I deal with the same issues bow hunting in the big woods in my area. More bedding options than a deer could ever dream of.
If Bill country or mountains start on the leeward side, weather or not that’s an option, then look for secondary features such as slight elevation changes, water, secondary ridges, small openings in all of that nastiness, transitions etc. usually I find that massive bedding areas have pretty intricate trail networks in them even in northern Maine. I don’t do well trying to target specific beds.(some times) my best success has been hunting these large areas of bedding when there is a 180 wind shift during legal hours regardless of time of day. There is a lot of movement when they adjust. My favorite remote area is about 400acres of what seems to be the most prominent bedding are of an extremely vast area. The deer occupy it on seemingly most winds, but need to adjust within the area some times long distances to accommodate the wind change after a weather system changes. Regardless of time of day. Target the movement during that scenario for f you see it forecast during legal hours.
Some times find a singular core buck bed or two In the middle of the wilderness, those are not the normal and are usually found tracking the season before then verified the next year. Movement during major day time wind shifts is my go to bigwoods/wilderness strategy when it all seems the same so to speak for miles.
BigBrutus11

Unread postby BigBrutus11 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. I figured I would be hunting the edges. What makes it tough is you literally have to crawl under, through, or over to get into some areas, which can be quite noisy. Then if you try to go around the blow downs, it's like you get past one row of downed trees, only to find another row of trees to go around. So your constantly get pushed farther in one direction. Cyber scouting can be tough also cause where deer are supposed to be exiting the swamps, their not cause whole points of trees jutting into swamps are down. It's basically hunting blind, which in a way is ok too. I plan to do more still hunting around these areas. And like I said from the looks of it, it could be a good thing too. I haven't seen many hunters parked in the public land I'm hunting so hopefully slot of bucks will make it through the rifle season.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:25 am

Dan T wrote:I deal with the same issues bow hunting in the big woods in my area. More bedding options than a deer could ever dream of.
If Bill country or mountains start on the leeward side, weather or not that’s an option, then look for secondary features such as slight elevation changes, water, secondary ridges, small openings in all of that nastiness, transitions etc. usually I find that massive bedding areas have pretty intricate trail networks in them even in northern Maine. I don’t do well trying to target specific beds.(some times) my best success has been hunting these large areas of bedding when there is a 180 wind shift during legal hours regardless of time of day. There is a lot of movement when they adjust. My favorite remote area is about 400acres of what seems to be the most prominent bedding are of an extremely vast area. The deer occupy it on seemingly most winds, but need to adjust within the area some times long distances to accommodate the wind change after a weather system changes. Regardless of time of day. Target the movement during that scenario for f you see it forecast during legal hours.
Some times find a singular core buck bed or two In the middle of the wilderness, those are not the normal and are usually found tracking the season before then verified the next year. Movement during major day time wind shifts is my go to bigwoods/wilderness strategy when it all seems the same so to speak for miles.

Interesting strategy. Thanks for posting!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”