Rock climbing harness as saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ehlusive

Rock climbing harness as saddle

Unread postby ehlusive » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Anyone use a rock harness in place of a tree saddle? I have a black diamond rock harness and was thinking today while on stand that it may work.

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Rock climbing harness as saddle

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:40 am

ehlusive wrote:Anyone use a rock harness in place of a tree saddle? I have a black diamond rock harness and was thinking today while on stand that it may work.

No they are two different things. Both in comfort, and the way they set up and function. You might be able to get away with a couple hours out of one but you would be limited really to a very small window of shooting and mobility and it would be quite uncomfortable.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:28 am

I've owned both and hunted out of both now. I was actually more comfy in my harness, go figure. I hated hunting out of a saddle and sold it.

I did a video on using the harness as a saddle this fall, showing that the harness was very versatile while using like a saddle, but haven't loaded anything up to the web. I set mine up using my Qsafe Treestrap. I started thinking about using it as a way to extend my range of shooting while on stand in a climber, which it certainly does, by just using my treestand platform to balance against VS the tree. I could get extended way out from the tree. Now that I've tied it and tested it at home, I gave it a go with my tree steps too on a hunt. I hate hanging steps anymore, so it isn't something I'll use UNLESS I'm desperate. But, it is a good alternative, something else in the .

Frankly, I think it depends on how you set up your saddle OR harness. One thing is for sure, as a older guy, you have to be in way better shape to hunt from a saddle VS a hang on OR climber I've found. NOT sure if everyone feels that way or not.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 pm

If you already have a rock climbing harness you could buy a sitdrag and use that as your saddle in combination with the harness as a backup. That’s what I’m using right now and I actually prefer it to some saddles because it is small and light.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
KornfedKiller

Unread postby KornfedKiller » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Check out saddlehunter.com, they have plenty of diy solutions.

I'd definitely recommend against sitting in a rock harness for hours.... that's how you get suspension trauma. They are not designed to do anything but catch your fall... however having your attachment point on the front really helps your ability to self rescue, whereas most of the 5 point harnesses (I've seen at least) have their attachment point on the back, which puts you in a bad spot if anything has gone wrong (source: we do high and low angle rescues at work). You need something to spread your weight over, rather than a couple pinch points that will effect the flow of blood in your lower body.

I recommend the fleece saddle, which is what I use. You wear it with your rock harness... the harness is fall protection, the fleece is the saddle. I honestly just went to fabric land and picked up a yard of regular camo fleece. Fold it in half, and you got a saddle... if you want more info on how to set that up, let me know. Didnt want to drag this post out. Fairly easy to put it together, super cheap, and safe. And comfortable... I can sit in that thing sun up to sun down. Almost like a mini hammock.

Obviously this is all at your own risk, definitely do your research, but its doable without spending the money on the saddles out there.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:52 am

I actually made a tree seat based off the kestrel, it was very similar, then I sewed in the rock harness to make sure it was safe. so it is kinda like a two-fold thing. anyway...I cant stand sitting in the thing. horribly uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. but-I wont fall out of it. I actually like it a lot better than the harness that came with my sumitt stand, so I use it instead, just for a safety harness. the best (most comfortable) seat for saddle hunting I had was the fleece seat. just a doubled piece of fleece cloth caught at both ends with the bridge. that, used in conjunction with the harness for safety, was the best bet. problem is having a good way to climb, that ups the weight significantly. couple all this with trying to carry all the cold weather clothing in and get layered while on stand, and I just rather hunt out of the sumitt. I can use the sumitt like the pack frame to attach all my gear-plus my cold weather clothes, and pack in. other times i just hunt from the ground during rifle season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”