If it can go wrong.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: If it can go wrong.....

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Hang in there!

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:54 pm

The good thing is your putting yourself in the game to shoot nice bucks consistently. Before I was on the beast I’d get 1-2 shots at nice bucks hunting hard in one season. I’ve doubled that since learning on this forum. Your a good hunter. Always enjoyed reading your posts. The two years you hunted Michigan was fun to read.
Feeshon

Unread postby Feeshon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Well, it just goes to show that some of the misses are more memorable that some of the hits. I have to remind myself of that all the time. I was aggressively rattling and grunting in Virginia this week as it’s worked for me before although most VA hunters do it. Got my second best buck at 7 yards rattling, grunting, and slamming bushes like a moose was there. I’ve also had plenty of misses over the years but if every one makes you better and more focused at execution then how good are you now? Look out bucks. I had a nice buck chase, mount and breed a doe 75 yards behind me three nights ago, grunting as he sired his offspring, only the third time I’ve ever seen that in the woods. If you are in the right place the right time they will come your way. I thought about the missed opportunity - didn’t have a clean shot, maybe I could have thrown a black powder lazer shot in there absent the cover on him, but I was in the right spot.blah blah blah, period. Time in the stand beats all odds and any or all would a - could a - should a stories. If you see action, then you are good, get in that stand and put the hammer down. Git em Boys.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Thanx Hawthorne. I miss the Michigan trips. Long story but the girl I was dating left me. Last year I planned a trip to the Adirondacks....I clobbered a buck in the truck and it wasn't done in time. I got it back and still almost went...an ice storm dropped a tree in my driveway....and the Daks got like 2-3 feet. So I didn't make it lol

I'm actually on vacation this week and was going to bow hunt Ohio or head to the Daks....life kinda got in the way and I didn't think I'd actually get to go....I'm gunna go-to work and save my days...

I am the same way.... actually don't have a ton of bow hunting experience. And growing up it was rifle season and lucky pressured deer movement or pushes. So I feel like I am heading down the right path for sure. This season gave me great confidence to trust my scouting....and continue the pursuit....

Next year I really do plan to take a trip. Adirondacks or Maine or something...I LOVE tracking deer and being in the big woods. Unfortunately I don't get the conditions often enough in Pennsylvania. There's no better feeling than working a track and getting a shot. To me, that's the ultimate form of hunting.

Feeshon, your right....I will never forget this season....the wild misses...and lessons learned. Like I said earlier, it's causing an OCD about my gear...which is a good thing...and you're absolutely right....my shots are more focused than ever. Definitely tough lessons to learn the hard way....but it'll all add upto making me a better hunter.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

That’s tough brotha..

Have no fear, as you’re not the only one! If Bowhunting was easy everybody would be doing it. Sounds like you’ve been in the deer, take a couple days off to relax, shoot the bow and get back to it.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”