What's the sign that made you set up today?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: What's the sign that made you set up today?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:43 am

Walltuckian wrote:This is my first year of being 100% mobile and trying to utilize all of the tactics/strategies I’ve heard from Dan or that I’ve read from everyone on here. Scouting and setting up on fresh sign without busting deeper into the woods has always stuck out in my mind. Last Thursday, I was scouting and came across a fresh scrape near bedding. It had snowed the previous evening, so I knew this scrape had just opened up.
I immediately found the right tree and played the wind (using milkweed of course). I took my time and quietly set up my Lone Wolf. 2 hours later at closing time, I was fortunate enough to take this Michigan public land 9 pointer with my bow the day before the rifle opener.

Nice buck man!

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Walltuckian

Unread postby Walltuckian » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Walltuckian wrote:This is my first year of being 100% mobile and trying to utilize all of the tactics/strategies I’ve heard from Dan or that I’ve read from everyone on here. Scouting and setting up on fresh sign without busting deeper into the woods has always stuck out in my mind. Last Thursday, I was scouting and came across a fresh scrape near bedding. It had snowed the previous evening, so I knew this scrape had just opened up.
I immediately found the right tree and played the wind (using milkweed of course). I took my time and quietly set up my Lone Wolf. 2 hours later at closing time, I was fortunate enough to take this Michigan public land 9 pointer with my bow the day before the rifle opener.

Nice buck man!

Thank you! It's my largest buck with a bow.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 am

Walltuckian wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Nice buck man!

Thank you! It's my largest buck with a bow.

I also think you did a great job of slowing down and not just charging deep. I fell into that trap a few times even though I was aware that I was doing it.

I decided to go a lot shallower, albeit a little off the beaten path and had my best chance of the season... Until a ATV intervened too close and he trotted away out the side door. But rethinking the approach and actually doing it can be a tough habit to overcome.

Glad it paid off for you!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I can't wait to contribute to this thread as best I can. Rifle season ends Sunday so I'll be back out Monday.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:38 am

I went out earlier this week to a new spot that I had pinned on a map and it turned out to be a total bust. About 10 preset tree stands in total and it was around a mile and a half hike from access, including a creek crossing. Only a handful of small rubs and some droppings.

I crossed back over the creek and followed some deer trails around a pond and found some really nice sign and some good bedding. Walked a total of 4+ miles that day.

Went back the next day and took my time to set up around 100 yards from bedding where there were multiple trail crossings, substantial rubs, a lot of droppings, and fresh tracks. Had about an hour of light left and had a big 8 come in to about 20 yards. My shot was low, but was happy to be able to put the pieces together and see a big one.
“You have to pay your dues”
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:49 am

peteherbst wrote:I went out earlier this week to a new spot that I had pinned on a map and it turned out to be a total bust. About 10 preset tree stands in total and it was around a mile and a half hike from access, including a creek crossing. Only a handful of small rubs and some droppings.

I crossed back over the creek and followed some deer trails around a pond and found some really nice sign and some good bedding. Walked a total of 4+ miles that day.

Went back the next day and took my time to set up around 100 yards from bedding where there were multiple trail crossings, substantial rubs, a lot of droppings, and fresh tracks. Had about an hour of light left and had a big 8 come in to about 20 yards. My shot was low, but was happy to be able to put the pieces together and see a big one.

Very cool. Wish ya could’ve got him, but that happens. It is a good feeling to find that sign finally and get things to fall in place. For me, it helped me change my frame of mind from “What am I doing?” to “Ok, I can do this on the fly and have opportunities.” A big step for me at least on my journey.
----------
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:58 am

greenhorndave wrote:Very cool. Wish ya could’ve got him, but that happens. It is a good feeling to find that sign finally and get things to fall in place. For me, it helped me change my frame of mind from “What am I doing?” to “Ok, I can do this on the fly and have opportunities.” A big step for me at least on my journey.

Exactly. Deer on the ground would’ve been ideal, but this was almost as good in my mind. I can’t wait to get back out. Feel like I actually know what I’m looking for now.
“You have to pay your dues”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”