Gun opener weekend impact on deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Gun opener weekend impact on deer?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:47 pm

What is your experience with how mature bucks react to the added numbers of hunters in the woods, especially opening weekend of gun season?

Do you see them migrate to less pressured properties? If so, how long does it take them to move?

Or, stay out and just go to thicker cover but stay in the same areas?

Or just go fully nocturnal?

My experience is that it depends on the area. One property I hunt, they just go nocturnal or more secure cover which sometimes isn’t thicker, it is just areas where hunters don’t go or where they can observe hunters and react accordingly much like archery season pressure.
I have a couple other places where the deer seem to stack up because they “know” they are safer. It does take a couple weekends for this to happen it seems and it depends on food availability in the area. This particular property is across the street from areas that get heavy gun pressure. It is a small property and must be hunted sparingly or with an almost no scent left access...meaning I hunt only when the wind isn’t blowing into their travel areas and I don’t walk or out stands where they are likely to spend any time and smell me after I’ve left. These deer seem to be very sensitive to any pressure.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Gun opener weekend impact on deer?

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Here in Virginia, tomorrow marks the beginning of the 7 week dog hunting season.

Not much water around where I hunt (marshes, swamps) so it’s tough for mature bucks to find spots where the dogs can’t find them.

So most mature bucks I see during dog season are in spots where they can observe hunters. Close to roads, major highways, and houses. Or being chased by a pack of dogs. :?
Strategically Inefficient
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:18 pm

I’ve seen mature bucks dogging does at 1pm the third day d gun season (Monday). All depends on the area
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Stingray713 wrote:Here in Virginia, tomorrow marks the beginning of the 7 week dog hunting season.

Not much water around where I hunt (marshes, swamps) so it’s tough for mature bucks to find spots where the dogs can’t find them.

So most mature bucks I see during dog season are in spots where they can observe hunters. Close to roads, major highways, and houses. Or being chased by a pack of dogs. :?

I can't imagine having to deal with people running dogs everywhere. I would have to move.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Where I hunt public in mn the deer simply vacate easy accessible areas. In daylight mature deer only move in areas they feel secure. Every once in awhile I see a trotting buck as our rifle includes the rut but this is an outlier. If you find good looking sign out in the open, it was probably made under the cover of darkness. Hunt on top of perceived bedding, within 100 yards.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”