The clocks ticking, is the pressure on?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

logan_jd

The clocks ticking, is the pressure on?

Unread postby logan_jd » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:28 pm

The season of hunting bucks on September and October patterns has passed. The rut is here but gun season is right around the corner. Then comes muzzleloader. And then comes the count down to the end of the bow season.

At least that is how it goes in Wisconsin. Regardless of the state, as the season carries on, I can’t help but believe that I am the only one who feels the pressure to get it done.

While I fend off these feelings, I ponder why I feel them.

I think one issue I have is I focus my scouting on early season and rut setups. I tend to forget scouting for late season setups. This creates a lack of confidence that in return creates more pressure.

Anyone else having the same thoughts and what are you doing to keep keeping on?

mauser06
500 Club

Re: The clocks ticking, is the pressure on?

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm not one of those guys that feels like I have to fill my tag. I'm at a point where seeing small bucks doesn't even get me remotely excited.

I don't feel "pressure". I just have a sickening desire to be in the woods and hunting. Right now I'm slightly frustrated because I was really into good bucks and last week and this week I'm not finding them. That's just fueling my fire even more. I've had enough snow to find fresh sign. The last couple of days I've hiked with a stand on my back till the last hour or so. Still haven't found what I'm looking for so guess what tomorrow holds? More hiking with the stand on my back. Lol.

I also know that I have a lot of time left. And I've killed 4 of my best bucks in the late season.

Part of my goal lately has been to become more "rounded" as a hunter. From opening day or early archery to the last days of the late season....I wanna be able to be in the game of killing mature bucks. Rut has always been my weakness and this year seems to hold true. But rather than sit in a tree where I think they should be, wondering where they are, I'm determined to go find them.

Keep your head up and good luck!

Another thing I've learned is if I start getting burnt out or anything, I'm doing it wrong. For me, hunting is a passion. I absolutely love it. If it's misery dragging myself out there, I don't. I pace myself and go at it steady.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:00 pm

My pre-gun bow season basically ended this morning, unless I can get up for a few hours in the AM after working overnight. I am almost looking forward to a little recharge as I don't hunt rifle here. I may get out for an afternoon or two on a bow only property but it won't be anything like the last three weeks. It can definitely be a grind when you aren't on them. Having said that I wish I had another week off to get after it.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
logan_jd

Unread postby logan_jd » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:14 pm

mauser06 wrote:I'm not one of those guys that feels like I have to fill my tag. I'm at a point where seeing small bucks doesn't even get me remotely excited.

I don't feel "pressure". I just have a sickening desire to be in the woods and hunting. Right now I'm slightly frustrated because I was really into good bucks and last week and this week I'm not finding them. That's just fueling my fire even more. I've had enough snow to find fresh sign. The last couple of days I've hiked with a stand on my back till the last hour or so. Still haven't found what I'm looking for so guess what tomorrow holds? More hiking with the stand on my back. Lol.

I also know that I have a lot of time left. And I've killed 4 of my best bucks in the late season.

Part of my goal lately has been to become more "rounded" as a hunter. From opening day or early archery to the last days of the late season....I wanna be able to be in the game of killing mature bucks. Rut has always been my weakness and this year seems to hold true. But rather than sit in a tree where I think they should be, wondering where they are, I'm determined to go find them.

Keep your head up and good luck!

Another thing I've learned is if I start getting burnt out or anything, I'm doing it wrong. For me, hunting is a passion. I absolutely love it. If it's misery dragging myself out there, I don't. I pace myself and go at it steady.

I like what you said. I definitely have the passion to keep at it. That drive is burning more than ever. My best encounters this year have come when one would least expect it. I think I may steal your goal of being a more rounded hunter and just make sure I’m on the sign and the bucks as the late season progresses. If I can do that, I will be more than happy with my season.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:33 pm

I think it's us and only us that puts any pressure on ourselves. Yeah spending time on social media, even here on the Beast. It can seem like everyone but "me" has killed a big buck already. But the reality of it is. It's still a minority of hunters/Beasts that have got it done.

Like Dan says. Keep putting in the time. Your odds keep getting better. With each day of the season that passes.

So you haven't prepped well for late season. Well just go do it. What have you got to lose. And looking at the big picture. Even if your in season scouting for late season, this year, doesn't lead to a kill. It should give you some intel. Even if it's that the bucks aren't in that/those areas, late season. You know to look elsewhere when you start scouting for next season!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm

I don’t feel any pressure even though I’m having one of my toughest seasons. That takes all the fun out of hunting so I don’t dwell on that stuff. I just love hunting and if it takes till the last day of the late archery season to fill my tag that would be great. Nothing like getting to experience the entire season. If I don’t kill a buck no big deal and it won’t be the end of the world. I don’t have to kill a deer to consider a season successful. Life will go on and then I look forward to the journey heading towards next season.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Heck yeah the pressure is on and it should be. The rut is almost over. We sacrificed alot and still have nothing too show for it :lol:
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:49 pm

logan_jd wrote:
[...]

Regardless of the state, as the season carries on, I can’t help but believe that I am the only one who feels the pressure to get it done.

While I fend off these feelings, I ponder why I feel them.

[...]

Anyone else having the same thoughts and what are you doing to keep keeping on?

Man I'm on like season 4 of hunting and have still yet to shoot anything. My 8 year old beat me to the punch this year. Unfortunately we weren't able to recover the buck. Even though I suck at it I feel like I learn something Everytime I'm out there. Honestly, I just love being out in nature regardless of what the outcome is. I'm reality if I do make it out there that in itself is a successful day, getting away from all the hectics of life. And plus I've been able to see all sorts of animals out there doing their thing in their own environment. Now I find zoos boring and don't want to take the kids. Lol. Don't let those negative feelings rob you of the joy of the hunt. Sometimes conditions suck and sometimes you wanna go home. Do whatever will leave you with the desire to come back again. Sometimes it's staying sometimes it's going somewhere else or leaving all together. But I'm the end..... Have fun!
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:06 pm

I've been the other way. Tagged out early and have been waiting to get back out there grinding. Gun season opens Saturday, and for the first time in years I can't wait.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 am

regardless of what happens, Keep calm & carry on, grind
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:27 am

No pressure here. Hunting for fun.

Have 3 weekends for whitetail hunting. Bringing folks hunting 2 of the 3 weekends and wondering about skipping the other one. LOL!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 am

I don’t get pressure, I give it! ;) I’ve been pacing myself thus far to prevent any burn out or fatigue. Just about ready to get cranking and I’m excited to get underway. As far as feeling the monkey on your back to punch a tag. I could careless if anyone else thinks I stink cause I got a tag soup/salad combo. What’s important to me is the feeling of knowing I gave it my best shot. To me no shame in coming up short if u stuck to your goals and didn’t compromise. Jmo
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:03 am

I've had a seasons here and there where I felt a little stress creep in for a day or two. Once I actually contemplate it for a bit I change my mindset and just enjoy the ride. Stress has no place in the deer woods IMO.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”