Evening bump should I morning hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kane243
Facebook: Alex Kane

Evening bump should I morning hunt?

Unread postby Kane243 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:25 pm

This evening I was packing into a area I knew there was doe bedding on. I was heading up a point slowly trying to catch a buck cruising the leeward side. I made it almost to where I wanted to set up and bumped a small buck. He snorted took off and I look over to a point to my right that came off the main ridge and a doe ran with my target buck following at a dead sprint. They go over the hill and the younger buck ran and was snorting. Decided to go ahead and set up thinking they might come back later. 45 minutes later I look to my right and a nice 9 point is down hill from me and ended up getting my wind before coming into range. He snorts runs off and that was the conclusion of my hunt. My question is what are my odds to get back in there before daylight set up a little differently since the wind is switching sw to nw or abandon the area from blowing everything out and come back and try at a later time.

parkerdurham
Facebook: Parker Durham

Re: Evening bump should I morning hunt?

Unread postby parkerdurham » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:47 pm

This time of year, I would definitely get back in there. If he's staying with a hot doe chances are he just pushed her a little further back in the same bedding area. Worth a shot anyway!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:40 pm

I would definitely get back in that area!! If she stayed in there and is hot, she will have company!! Good luck
Kane243
Facebook: Alex Kane

Unread postby Kane243 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:10 am

Update- went back in this morning set up for the NE wind. The buck followed the doe up the ridge she got to 25 yards he stayed back at about 60 watched her eat. 30 painful minutes later she gets downwind of my tree snorts and runs off with him following. Another encounter eventually he’ll slip up sitting rest of the day to see if they come back around.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Did they come in from the same direction again this morning? IF so, move you location closer to where he locked up. Maybe even farther in the direction they came from if you can.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”