How do winter storms, snow/ice affect the deer movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KornfedKiller

How do winter storms, snow/ice affect the deer movement

Unread postby KornfedKiller » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Hey everyone, so I'm in my second year hunting.. trying to learn as much as I can. I'm in southwestern ontario, and the last 2 weeks have been a bunch of winter storms. We have seen several inches of snow, and the start of ice forming. I finally found some good doe bedding to hunt, saw tons of deer last week. They were walking through trails with anywhere from 2 inches to a foot of water to get from bedding in the alders into the hardwoods en route to feeding. They seemed to disappear with the ice. Did the formation of ice on their trails change up their routes? Did the change in weather cause a change in where they are bedding? Or did they just wind me and change their path altogether.... I heard them moving on the other side of the transition line, but no sloshing or anything like last week.. mostly snapping of twigs.

Sorry if that's not enough info, appreciate anyone's help

NHODN

Re: How do winter storms, snow/ice affect the deer movement

Unread postby NHODN » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:48 pm

more info would be helpful . My experiences have taught me that durn snowy rainy conditions can change what they are doing where i live when it gets cold the deer tend to head to thicker cover witch is drier and blocks wind rain and snow i use alot of maps to scout it helps me find bedding travel routes and food i use satellite and topo maps when i get into situations like yours ill put trail cams out in multiple locations and if it doesnt help me durn the season im hunting it will help for future seasons hope that helps a little bit
I only work so I can hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”