rut sign?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riceg53

rut sign?

Unread postby riceg53 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am

Curious to hear what type of sing you guys are keying in on during the rut? I was so confident i was going to at least see some action this past weekend and I sat all day and saw one doe. Do you still set up on scrapes or over rubs? Focus more on doe bedding? Need all the tips I can get here!

Hildebrand

Re: rut sign?

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 am

I would stay a good active scrape close to bedding, not a field edge. But I would try to be where the does are. Keep the does happy and you should see some buck action. Down wind side of doe bedding as bucks work down wind to try and find a hot doe. I have seen very little rut action this year. Few scrapes and and just a few smaller random bucks walking around looking for doe
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 am

Hunt where the does are. A doe bedding area can stay hot for a few days with multiple bucks then it’s like a switch is flipped and the bucks are gone but the does are still there.I seen it this year
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:56 am

bump, my rut hunts are terrible so far :lol:
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:02 am

Any sign that is few hours to a day old. Hunt it while its steaming fresh. I like fresh scrapes with large tracks in them.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:28 am

It's a loaded question for me, really comes down to where I'm hunting and time of the day.

Some private ground does will make it into the field during daylight. Those places I'll try to sit a staging area, or a parallel trail.

Private ground that's really pressured I get in tight to doe bedding and look for fresh rut sign, rubs, scrapes ex.

Public I try to figure out where they will cruise which depends on terrain. Sometimes they're isn't much sign but it sets up for them to be funneled through there. I'll also key in on where the chasing will occur during daylight. The chasing areas for me is usually in relation to thick bedding cover.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”