How much hair in an active bed this time of year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

How much hair in an active bed this time of year

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:00 am

In November/December in the Midwest, do deer typically shed an amount of deer that would make it easily visible in an active bed? Would you normally see a fair amount?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
perchsoup

Re: How much hair in an active bed this time of year

Unread postby perchsoup » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:26 am

Good question. Something I wonder too.

In my area, bedding is plentiful and deer are not always plentiful. If I find beds now, after leaf drop, I assume they are fresh and active even if I only find a hair or two, but I don't know if I am always right with that assumption. I think because bedding is so plentiful, they go to a new spot after they find out I was there. I can only test my theory, next year around the same time of year figuring they are on a pattern.

I've only been trying this for a couple years now on more marginal bedding and new bedding I find as I don't want to go into the spots I think are my best unless I am hunting them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”