Property just not worth it??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Property just not worth it??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:46 am

How do you determine if a property is just not worth the time or expense? Anybody ever just abandon a place because the bucks just aren’t around or other hunters are shooting them before they get big enough?

One of the main places I hunt I am seriously considering doing this. The main thing keeping me there is hunting with my brother. We see lots of 2-3 year old but the company that owns the property allows his employees to hunt it in gun season so you get 10-15 guys coming any and shooting any buck that walks. This eliminates A LOT of the bucks in the 1-3 year old range. Not counting the added pressure on the property.
This place is otherwise set up for some primo bucks, lots of thick areas, good food sources, everything a buck needs. I’ve known a couple other guys who were on the lease and quit in the last couple years.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Re: Property just not worth it??

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:21 am

That’s pretty rough and I’ve been there.

Where I’m at you’d be doing good w 3 yr old deer! I guess a lot of public land basically gets wiped out yet something or even a few good bucks survive. However you don’t have to pay to hunt on the public.

If you don’t think what you’re after exists on the property I would say screw it and go elsewhere.. get your bro wound up about trying some new ground together.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:05 am

I would die to see that many 2/3 years olds on the public and private I hunt. But if you are paying money for a lease and then you have a bunch of other guys hunting it, I would say it’s not worth it. You would be better off leasing something smaller that you and your brother can control access. If you are talking this property is 10000 acres and you are not paying much well 10/15 guys is not that many, if you are talking 1000 acres for a lease and having other guys on it that changes things. Sounds like you are ready to let it go, so your time will probably be better spent elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:14 am

Before you do anything - what are your other options?

Can you hunt somewhere that there are bigger bucks - is that the priority? Will your brother go along and hunt there?

Are you gonna take the lease money and do travel hunts? Will brother do that?

All I'm saying is don't leap before you weigh all options and see where your priorities actually lie.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:38 am

There is nothing like making memories hunting with family; regardless of what you shoot. It’s that simple for me.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Rich M wrote:Before you do anything - what are your other options?

Can you hunt somewhere that there are bigger bucks - is that the priority? Will your brother go along and hunt there?

All I'm saying is don't leap before you weigh all options and see where your priorities actually lie.

I have other options, and I have seen some shooters on those properties, I just really thought this would be better. I actually see a lot more deer at the other properties which are smaller but less pressure.
The one plus with this property is that almost everywhere is pretty easy walking...my brother is 65 and although he is in excellent shape, age is showing. I’m no spring chicken at 54. It’s 1600 acres with maybe 400-500 being actual woods. I scouted a ton today and just didn’t see the sign. I hunted this place back in the 80s and it was loaded with big bucks. Even knowing as little as we did about hunting back then, we managed to put down some bruisers. It could be that way if managed properly. I ran into 2 guys tonight that said they shot “a big 6. I ain’t never seen “a big 6”. I absolutely recognize their right to shoot whatever they want and good on them for getting what they want. It’s just tough when you know how good it could be within a couple years if better management practices were put in place. It could literally be one of the best places in the whole state. Unfortunately that isn’t going to happen.
I do feel blessed that over the years I’ve been successful enough to be super picky now. I actually think that the public around here is probably better from a mature buck standpoint. It’s just tough terrain to hunt.
My brother is willing to look elsewhere as well. He is as frustrated as I am. The EHD going around this year hasn’t helped matters.

The travel hunting seems like a good idea btw! Been seriously considering that.

I appreciate the input. Just very frustrated right now and doing some belly aching and I was curious if other guys quit hunting a lease or even public areas in search of better stuff.
It could be that I need to appreciate what I have and just work harder (if possible) at finding the needle in the haystack.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm

I scrap properties all the time. Basically comes down to if the juice is worth the squeeze for me. Have worked out a lot of deals where I must keep the property mowed for hunting rights. Being that I don’t own any heavy equipment it costs me a few hundred to have it done. If a few seasons go by and I feel this place just isn’t good odds for what I want. Then I cut bait and walk away. However, if a place is free no strings attached I always keep it in my back pocket. There’s plenty of free ground around that holds bucks I don’t care to shoot, no need to go out of pocket for the same thing imo
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:19 pm

So you pay to hunt this property and he lets 10-15 guys gun hunt it that shoot everything for free? I lease property and if i found about something like that id be out immediatly. I dont know where your located but cant you find somewhere else? Apply for managed hunt draws? 400-500 acres with 15 guys gun hunting is like public at that point. You and your brother should check other options in my opinion.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm

I wouldn’t pay for the privilege to hunt a heavily pressured property. Well, any more than I already do with my taxes.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:40 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Rich M wrote:Before you do anything - what are your other options?

I have other options, and I have seen some shooters on those properties, I just really thought this would be better. I actually see a lot more deer at the other properties which are smaller but less pressure.
The one plus with this property is that almost everywhere is pretty easy walking...my brother is 65 and although he is in excellent shape, age is showing. I’m no spring chicken at 54. It’s 1600 acres with maybe 400-500 being actual woods. I scouted a ton today and just didn’t see the sign. I hunted this place back in the 80s and it was loaded with big bucks. Even knowing as little as we did about hunting back then, we managed to put down some bruisers. It could be that way if managed properly. I ran into 2 guys tonight that said they shot “a big 6. I ain’t never seen “a big 6”. I absolutely recognize their right to shoot whatever they want and good on them for getting what they want. It’s just tough when you know how good it could be within a couple years if better management practices were put in place. It could literally be one of the best places in the whole state. Unfortunately that isn’t going to happen.
I do feel blessed that over the years I’ve been successful enough to be super picky now. I actually think that the public around here is probably better from a mature buck standpoint. It’s just tough terrain to hunt.
My brother is willing to look elsewhere as well. He is as frustrated as I am. The EHD going around this year hasn’t helped matters.

The travel hunting seems like a good idea btw! Been seriously considering that.

I appreciate the input. Just very frustrated right now and doing some belly aching and I was curious if other guys quit hunting a lease or even public areas in search of better stuff.
It could be that I need to appreciate what I have and just work harder (if possible) at finding the needle in the haystack.

Understand completely. Reason I asked is that I've made a few mistakes by cutting and running, only to find less opportunity and worse companions at the next place. Buyers remorse is tough.

Being 50, im understanding how the age factor influences things, plus I do a lot with my 80 yo father. He really slowed down at about 78.and it influences how we do stuff now.

If you aren't gonna miss the place, it is probably time to move on.

I have travelled to hunt a bit. When I was younger we had deer camp where we spent the season away from home. I often hunt GA about 5 hrs north of here. Don't mind a longer trip either but for a week or so as opposed to trying to hunt it more often.

Going to WY for antelope and CO for Mule deer has been fun and didn't cost too much. You guys could probably figure a few things out and get a couple trips in, even with the points game that's required.

Hope you guys can get it figured out and have no remorse in your decision.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 am

Honestly I am lucky to see a deer 3.5 or older on any of the property I hunt. It is what it is. I try to keep my standards to 4 points on a side. That's just my personal goals. I'm fine with it. Still have a great time just looking for something in that range
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:38 am

oldrank wrote:Honestly I am lucky to see a deer 3.5 or older on any of the property I hunt. It is what it is. I try to keep my standards to 4 points on a side. That's just my personal goals. I'm fine with it. Still have a great time just looking for something in that range

If I hunted areas where that was the deal, I think I’d be happy with it too. I just know in this region there is a fairly good population of large mature bucks. Although I think the EHD has put a hurt on them. I’ve thought about getting a atv or bike I can use to make the long treks it would take to geT where I need to go. I don’t mind the hikes but dragging one out would be tough...and my knees aren’t liking what I do now.

I appreciate all the input. Not an easy call given all the extraneous factors and this is the part of the season where I start getting frustrated. I’m sure December will be better. That’s my favorite time

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”