Cold feet.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
CChunter

Re: Cold feet.

Unread postby CChunter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:10 am

Another vote for the artic shield boot covers.

The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:26 am

So I didn't have a hunting pair of boots this year as my previous ones had come apart and I was going on a weekend hunt so I had to make do with what I had. Long story short, I have some London Fog snow boots that I took. It only got down to 25* but I hiked for several miles and my feet were great! I was surprised at how warm my feet stayed. I also left them loose around the ankle hoping that sweat could evaporate through there. Besides that, I second what alot of ppl said. Hot Hands foot warmers work great but I think it's best when your get aren't sweating to begin with. The body heater suit works really good as well but it's cumbersome to carry on. But it will keep you toasty all over. Have never tried the not covers but I would vouch for that option as it seems to be a body heater suit for the feet only.
Stringpuller74

Unread postby Stringpuller74 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:43 am

Quest1001 wrote:
mauser06 wrote:My feet sweat worse than any other part of me. Sweat equals cold.

Ditch the rubber boots. Get a good pair of goretex or whatever lined boots. Little or no insulation.

Sock liners

Good wool or Merino socks

Foot spray or powder or in a pinch, underarm deodorant.

If I have a long hike in, I will often bring a 2nd pair of socks. Pack the extra and liner socks. Get in, cool down, change socks. Yes, it's not fun changing socks in the woods...but it helps a TON.

Biggest thing for me was ditching the rubber boots. I still own a pair but rarely wear them to the woods. They don't breath at all and your feet and legs end up soaked.

Rubber boots or leather boots, I don't care. He's gunna smell you. That argument doesn't hold water with me.

I basically do the exact same regimen. I hate my sweaty cold feet. :lol:

Rubber is a must were i go its very wet.
Stringpuller74

Unread postby Stringpuller74 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:59 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:So I didn't have a hunting pair of boots this year as my previous ones had come apart and I was going on a weekend hunt so I had to make do with what I had. Long story short, I have some London Fog snow boots that I took. It only got down to 25* but I hiked for several miles and my feet were great! I was surprised at how warm my feet stayed. I also left them loose around the ankle hoping that sweat could evaporate through there. Besides that, I second what alot of ppl said. Hot Hands foot warmers work great but I think it's best when your get aren't sweating to begin with. The body heater suit works really good as well but it's cumbersome to carry on. But it will keep you toasty all over. Have never tried the not covers but I would vouch for that option as it seems to be a body heater suit for the feet only.

Lithium battery powered socks
FrigidArrows77

Unread postby FrigidArrows77 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:04 am

Another vote here for Arctic Shields.
I ALWAYS had feet freeze first. The warmest boot I have warn all year is a 400 gram hiking boot. Boot covers in 30s-40s, and super hand warmers between boot and cover in anything under 25. I sat Tuesday in 13 degree morning, and feet were never a hint of cold. I will likely never buy a heavy boot for deer hunting again. Pretty tough to beat a light boot for walking, and layering when you get to your destination. Most people do it for their legs and torso.....why not your feet as well?
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:46 am

Stringpuller74 wrote:

I almost bought some last year but man sometimes the few negative reviews on things make me hesitant. Do you have a specific brand/model you like?
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:50 am

FrigidArrows77 wrote: I will likely never buy a heavy boot for deer hunting again. Pretty tough to beat a light boot for walking, and layering when you get to your destination. Most people do it for their legs and torso.....why not your feet as well?

X2. My feet are naturally hot and before I understood the feet sweating thing had bought a pair of wolverine hunting boots heavily insulated and man did I pay for it. Also have gotten away from the camo pattern for boots and other gear. Seems like it's overkill sometimes and can use it on other occasions.
Stringpuller74

Unread postby Stringpuller74 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:06 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Stringpuller74 wrote:

I almost bought some last year but man sometimes the few negative reviews on things make me hesitant. Do you have a specific brand/model you like?

I havent tried them yet. Ordering soon. Im going to try the Jomst brand. Seemed to get the best reviews on Amazon.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:15 am

Stringpuller74 wrote:
The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Stringpuller74 wrote:

I havent tried them yet. Ordering soon. Im going to try the Jomst brand. Seemed to get the best reviews on Amazon.

Cool man, keep us posted.
cdwester

Unread postby cdwester » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:47 am

Heavy wool socks and Baffin Titan boots. Same thing I wear ice fishing.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:52 am

Hot Hands Toe Warmers do it for me. They are awesome!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:11 am

Put the hot hands toe warmer in your jacket pockets for the walk in so they'll warm up. Once you get to the tree, put them on. They work great.

I've started wearing hiking boots myself and using the toe warmers. No problems to speak of.
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:47 pm

I've been going 2 sizes bigger or (more),gotta have some room to wiggle toes.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:41 pm

I wear a woody max muck boot 2 sizes too big. I wear a light pair of socks with them - seems as long as I have plenty of dead air I’m toasty. Boots are a bit tight from too many socks I’ll freeze.

Thanks,

Lee
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:02 am

I’ve been doing all day sits this last week and started ironing out my system for Wisconsin weather. I wear good wool socks with liners underneath. For boots I have arctic mucks. I’ll take it easy to the stand to prevent sweating. Then wait until my foot naturally cools a bit. I then put the arctic shield boot covers on and plop a hand warmer down in the cover but outside the boot. I find that the real issue with rubbers in the boot itself gets so cold the insulation becomes useless. I feel that the inside the boot type doesn’t get enough oxygen to run effectively.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”