NY Public Land Rut Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sharpshoot3r

NY Public Land Rut Hunt

Unread postby Sharpshoot3r » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:59 am

Im going up to property i own this week that i normally go to a few times a year on a weekend. Across the road is PL just open up to hunting bow only M-F. Its only been hunt-able for 2-3 years now. I have marked a few spots i think could be good. There is some agg to the west. The primary wind being called for is NW. I have never step foot on this piece and plan to scout it in spring. Any suggestions/ help will greatly be appropriated. Im assuming they will be in peak rut at this time. Timber looks open.
onXmaps Web App.jpg
Public Land1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: NY Public Land Rut Hunt

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:15 am

Drumlin country... bucks use those suckers a lot of different ways. Some follow them lengthwise and other times they cross them and do the up/down/up/down thing. I would use the general principle that a buck is going to generally travel the leeward (downwind) side of the drumlin, just below the crest. I’d also be checking out that pond in the middle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”