I think I'm done hunting....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

I think I'm done hunting....

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 am

Ok. What in the h$&$!! I don't know if I've ever whiffed or flat out missed a deer ever. Maybe once 13 years ago I vaguely remember an almost straight down miss. This year. Good lord. I missed not one, but 2, my 2 target bucks. I had a lumenock for the shot yesterday, and man did he duck the shot. It was crazy. I was probably aiming too high anyway. But it missed by millimeters over his back. I don't even deserve to hunt anymore. Lol. Kinda serious though...last year I shot my 2 target biggest bucks in 3 sits. I knew the luck would even out.

stash59

Re: I think I'm done hunting....

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:40 am

Yuup! Just when you think you have it all figured out. You have a year like that!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am

Missed my target buck yesterday, too. Knew the range, middle pin was sighted in for it, said to myself, "stay calm, you are doing good," put my top pin on, told myself to use the other pin and shot anyway. Right under him. I'm set up right now 75yds north of there, it's the rut, anything can happen and I need redemption. Your bucks are out there, too, go get em!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 am

Trout wrote:Missed my target buck yesterday, too. Knew the range, middle pin was sighted in for it, said to myself, "stay calm, you are doing good," put my top pin on, told myself to use the other pin and shot anyway. Right under him. I'm set up right now 75yds north of there, it's the rut, anything can happen and I need redemption. Your bucks are out there, too, go get em!

Always hated when that happened!!! I mentioned this on another thread. But at times cranial rectosis strikes. Leaves us talking to ourself. Saying, "now why did I just do that?"
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:54 am

Just look at it like there is an upswing coming. Seriously though that's the stuff that haunts you for life but makes the times you are successful so great.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

johndeere506 wrote:Ok. What in the h$&$!! I don't know if I've ever whiffed or flat out missed a deer ever. Maybe once 13 years ago I vaguely remember an almost straight down miss. This year. Good lord. I missed not one, but 2, my 2 target bucks. I had a lumenock for the shot yesterday, and man did he duck the shot. It was crazy. I was probably aiming too high anyway. But it missed by millimeters over his back. I don't even deserve to hunt anymore. Lol. Kinda serious though...last year I shot my 2 target biggest bucks in 3 sits. I knew the luck would even out.

It’s amazing how hunting does that. Just when you think you have it all figured out along comes the humble pie. If it was easy and everything went perfect it wouldn’t be nearly as enjoyable. The low points just make the peaks that much more satisfying.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am

You sound like me in 2016 and 2 weeks ago! LOL

If you shot 2 bucks last year in 3 sits then I'd say this is just a taste of the balance of life. You gotta stay after it!

Ill tell you the same another beast just told me - I'd have a really nice wall right now of shoulda, coulda, woulda bucks.

You're in the game! Which others wish they were so hang your hat on what you can. Take a break if you need to.

Good luck
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:50 am

Yup! I once bragged that I hadn't missed a buck for five years straight. Guess what? Missed a shot that season. I should learn to keep my mouth shut. :doh: Keep at it and develop a new string of successes.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:05 am

I've found if I have to think about my shot usually I'm going to have a problem. If I can keep myself focused pull and shoot the deer is dead.

I think anyone that's been hunting awhile has been there. But as many have said, I'd rather miss than put a bad hit on one.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:28 pm

Bucks, what are those...
Be thankful you're not in NH...

SUCK IT UP SOLDIER! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Bucks, what are those...
Be thankful you're not in NH...

SUCK IT UP SOLDIER! ;)

I agree. I'll be out in the morning.
I'm just in shock at my mistakes Haha. The past bunch of years have treated me very well with bucks. I was overdue for some ridiculous self inflicted mishaps....
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:53 pm

After getting past the title. I knew your first post was a little tongue in check. You'll do fine! You just gotta think like, hey the hunting gods must have bigger and better things in store for me this year!!! ;) :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:26 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:Yup! I once bragged that I hadn't missed a buck for five years straight. Guess what? Missed a shot that season. I should learn to keep my mouth shut. :doh: Keep at it and develop a new string of successes.

I had a streak where I killed everything I released an arrow on for almost 15 years and they all dropped dead within sight. Thought I was dialed in and couldn’t fail.

The last two shots taken I wounded and never recovered a good buck and completely missed another. That has a way of playing with your mind and makes you REALLY critical about shots taken in the future. I always chose very high percentage shots and that obviously worked faired well for me for a long time. The last two shots I took were on the edge of something I was comfortable taking and they turned out badly. Since then I have had many shooter bucks in range but unless I have a perfect shot I’m not taking it. It sucks wounding a deer and I would much rather eat tag soup than do that again. On Halloween I had a 140’s buck broadside at 22 yards while at full draw. He needed three more steps to get to a perfectly clear shot but held up with quite a few branches in the kill zone. I probably could have squeezed a shot in but decided not especially since the buck was keyed into my scent stream. He backed out and walked out of my life and I am OK with that. The shot didn’t feel right so I passed on it. That’s so hard for many to do but it’s necessary if you want to have a high kill percentage.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:46 pm

I had double lunged every deer that I have shot at for the last six years. This year, I have grazed a big one, and hit another buck above the lungs in "no mans land". I understand where your'e coming from. It's a horrible feeling, but all you can do is get back on the horse.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
colic

Unread postby colic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 am

I've been on a major streak as well until it ended this year on my biggest buck to date. Hit him high in the straps.
Funny thread.

I'm attributing part of it to me switching broadheads, putting a new string on my bow, and not having it in fine enough tune. I realized after I shot back home my three blades were hitting 6 inches high and right. :shock:
How could I. I think I took a couple shots at 45 yards with my broadhead and they were "close enough". Maybe something changed. I can't explain it, honestly. I adjusted my sight and I'm back to dropping where I want em. I've been shooting one broadhead everyday.. just to make sure.
The real problem is in my head, I think.

Also, I lost a really good flashlight this year and a beautiful custom knife I've had for 10 years. And I had a real nice tall young buck come in on me but I was busy eating trail mix and crunching up a storm with my nose in a book. He hit my scent stream by the time I was bow in hand and swung over to weak side.

Talk about a year to remember :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”