Terrain quiz

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chief White Oak

Terrain quiz

Unread postby Chief White Oak » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:50 am

Just from a topographical perspective does anything really jump out to the seasoned veteran hunter?? Just curious as to what you guys might see that I dont. I'm really interested in this location because it holds alot of nice bucks every year. There is a small maybe 5 acre swamp in the northern portion of this photo that always has alot of buck sign. Like I said this question is strictly based on a terrain point of view. I would just like to see what others see that I could be completely overlooking . Thanks again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jzehr

Re: Terrain quiz

Unread postby jzehr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:55 am

What's your prevailing wind ? West?
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:55 am

Check out that steep little knob just below the word creek. Steeper and thicker the better when in that rolling hill type terrain. But I'd also guess that with any pressure he's going to the swamp
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 am

Im no expert but I would look at the area I shaded in red on a wsw wind. Seems like they could approach there bed from the swamp and then bed part of the way up that point and watch their back track...and have wind coming over the ridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:Check out that steep little knob just below the word creek. Steeper and thicker the better when in that rolling hill type terrain. But I'd also guess that with any pressure he's going to the swamp

x2. Also, you have a few subtle saddles and some cuts that could funnel the deer into smaller areas. Get to the head of those and you should see some sign of travel.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”