Duck hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ridge_runner91

Duck hunters

Unread postby ridge_runner91 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:57 am

Did a little scouting in marsh recently. Found some sign and would like to explore it further in the future. This marsh appears to be duck hunted pretty hard by folks that are in boats. The distance from the duck hunters to the hardwood ridges on the edge of the marsh is 350-450 yards. Is that enough distance for deer to stay in the marsh once the shooting starts or do you think most of the deer would retreat to the hardwood ridges when the duck hunters start shooting?

PK_
500 Club

Re: Duck hunters

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:04 am

Yes. Key in on that buffer between duck pressure and deer hunting pressure.

Even better if you can find those patches of swamp not accessible by boat and not easy for deer hunters to get close to...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

PK_ wrote:Yes. Key in on that buffer between duck pressure and deer hunting pressure.

Even better if you can find those patches of swamp not accessible by boat and not easy for deer hunters to get close to...

What he said!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:33 am

The deer get used to it and will be closer than you think. I hunt a marsh with some other guys that duck hunt it a lot. Whole marsh is 35 acres. I've killed five bucks there while they have been out within 200 yards of me, or less. Biggest buck ever I watched for 25 minutes as it go light at 50 yards facing me. Thy would shoot and he would casually look up. Sauntered past me and they helped me drag, which was great because he went 230 dressed!

My experience is it isn't even worth considering in most cases.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:56 am

Kraftd wrote:The deer get used to it and will be closer than you think. I hunt a marsh with some other guys that duck hunt it a lot. Whole marsh is 35 acres. I've killed five bucks there while they have been out within 200 yards of me, or less. Biggest buck ever I watched for 25 minutes as it go light at 50 yards facing me. Thy would shoot and he would casually look up. Sauntered past me and they helped me drag, which was great because he went 230 dressed!

My experience is it isn't even worth considering in most cases.

Those are great examples. I wondered that myself.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ridge_runner91

Unread postby ridge_runner91 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks guys..... great to get confirmation.

I used to be on the board at a local sportsman's club and we had deer that would bed behind the 100 and 200 yard rifle range berms..... so I figured they might get used to the shooting as long as people weren't actually bumping them out of their beds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”