Get a dog

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Get a dog

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 am

Just a friendly thread. Been seeing alot of the "Can't find my deer" threads popping up. I would recommend anyone that hunts where you can track with a dog to set aside a couple hundred bucks just in case.

Before last year I had never used a dog. I will say this. What took me hours to figure out a dog did in minutes. When a guy ask for tracking advice and 20 people say get a dog.....get a dog. Have those numbers in your phone and be ready. It could be you next. Maybe even make a few calls before season and get to know your trackers.

It took me a few hours to locate a guy who was available. That was frustrating, but I found one. Got numbers saved in my phone....maybe we get a state by state list going or something....

If I ever have a questionable track, I'm backing out n getting a dog.

Skel

Re: Get a dog

Unread postby Skel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:27 am

Go to unitedbloodtrackers.org and click find a tracker. You can search by state or by zip code and it will give you their profile with name and phone number etc. Great place to start!
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:29 am

I have never been one to take the easy way out and I believe tracking skills are just as important as hunting/killing skills...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:16 am

crankn101 wrote:I have never been one to take the easy way out and I believe tracking skills are just as important as hunting/killing skills...

Easy and smart decisions are two different things.... When it comes to being stubborn and letting a deer rot in the woods, I am calling a dog.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 am

get a small dog, I am just about convinced that any dog will work, as long as it is a small puppy when you get the dog. the best dogs are relationships formed while they are having to trust you for everything. anyway... mix up a little water with his/her feed and drip out a track so that the pup will track the food and they will... eat at the end. everyone is happy. do this a couple times a week. when it is getting better, swap over to deer blood when you thaw out freezer meat, mix it with water to thin it down and drip out a track, leave a treat or dog food at the end. as soon as season gets here, (the pups first season) anytime someone shoots a deer, whether you see it fall or not, track with the dog. Sooner or later, you will not see it fall, and you will want the dog. YES, I AGREE that it is imperative for hunters to be able to track, but no matter what, we can never do it as well as some animal who has been created to make their living doing it. Our weenie dog Charlie is on his 4th year, actually found a deer that my 11 year old foul hit night before last. It was a long trail with no blood (that we could see) for a good hundred yards, then it opened up and bled a little. dogs are great. Charlie is a weenie dog we got for free a few years back when someone had a litter they weren't expecting. I wouldn't sell him for any amount now, even though he was free back then.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:48 am

If anyone in NE Tennessee, SW Virginia, W NC meeds a tracker I have a friends with some awesome dogs!!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:59 am

This year mn legalized using dogs to track downed deer. It seems like a good opportunity when my current pack passes on. I know of two bucks that were mortally wounded by hunting buddies that weren’t recovered this year alone. It’s always a bummer and based on my research a lot of breeds are able to be trained.
Persistence is undefeated.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:30 am

of all the laws, not allowing tracking dogs is some of the most ignorant laws on the books. I cannot understand what lawmakers are thinking. it is ignorance, I guess. they don't know and don't care to find out.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:36 am

trying to put a pic of charlie and Eli
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 pm

I agree with you OR. I have some friends who are friends with a guy who is part of United Blood Trackers and he came out when I couldn't find my buck last year and his dog made short work of finding him. Watching his dog track after I lost blood was amazing. And the meat was still good.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Good advice. I needed this advice a few days ago. I tried to track myself and ended up losing blood and then it was too late/didn’t have any contacts. I looked on Facebook but couldn’t “track” anyone down. I will check out united trackers.

I suggest you all do the same BEFORE you need it!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:03 pm

I used a dog from United bloodtrackers for a gut/liver shot deer. Dog found it in literally minutes. Absolutely amazing.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I have a dog I've trained that I'd help beasts out in my area. I'm in northcentral WI, located in Tigerton if needed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”