Crossing Deer Trail

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Crossing Deer Trail

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:59 am

I have a property I have permission to hunt that has a ravine on the east side of it, very thick and nasty strip that is about 100 yards wide. The rest of the property is open fields. I want to hunt the ravine, but have no access from below, so my only access is to cross the deer trails I plan on hunting, and accessing with my wind blowing to the ravine. Is this worth hunting and accessing? I know there are does bedding in the ravine on both side at the bottoms, and any buck scent checking will have to cross up and in front of me. Thoughts?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Crossing Deer Trail

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 am

Sometimes you gotta throw up some hail marys. It sounds to me like a morning spot only unless you think its possible to access midday. Id wear my rubber boots for that hunt and hope for the best. If youre in shooting distance where you have to cross the deer trails then it may not be a terrible situation, unless you have to survive other deer crossing before the buck comes by. I think if the ground is wet from rain then it may be issue w scent. On the flip side, if you have to access through the fields to get to the ravine then it makes it even tougher. Timing is difficult having to cross a field to dive in a morning only specific spot. I have a spot very similar to that setup and its difficult. I actually havent gotten one in that specific spot yet, trying to tackle it this season and be successful. After the first try its 1-0 Deer lol

Just my thoughts
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:10 am

Can you post any type of map, maybe even a hand drawn one? I'm not understanding why you have to blow wind into the ravine?

In my experience foot scent is far less invasive than hot body scent. I would burn what matters least with my foot scent but be very conscience of thermals and wind.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:05 am

Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 am

Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 am

Where the river is, I don't have access due to private land. The ravine is about 80 ft drop and impassable for deer so they are funneled over the top past my stand. My only problem is getting in.

Thoughts?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 am

Not sure exactly why you can't access from the south, south of the most southern doe bedding. Or even use the river via canoe or kayak.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 am

Jdaukontas wrote:Where the river is, I don't have access due to private land. The ravine is about 80 ft drop and impassable for deer so they are funneled over the top past my stand. My only problem is getting in.

Thoughts?

Oopps! Musta been typing at the same time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:20 am

I'd head in on a NW wind. Straight down wind from the far west side of the field. Right to your stand. Might booger some, but might not. PM hunt, but get to your stand at least 4 hours before primetime. Or wait for daylight and the field to clear, and hope nothing is close to your stand in the AM.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am

Jump the trails.. line up your shooting lanes with the area you crossed. Where rubber boots. Keep your wind out of the bedding areas.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks, I was leaning toward the same conclusion, just needed the confidence!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”