Hunting points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Hunting points

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Interesting, so he was moving wind to back and then turned up the ridge on the leeward side.

I had a scenario with two bucks this past weekend in the mountains up north. Interesting contrast, one of the bucks was young, 2.5 yr old, the other my buddy barely saw but was much bigger. The young buck came up a bench essentially nose to the wind and cut across the top of a ridge in a crosswind, he was heading to the leeward side but crossed over the top of the ridge. My buddy shot him at 1030am Sunday, it was his first deer, a nice young six. The older deer came from the leeward side, he was running just off the top of the ridge with a wind slightly quartering to his back side. He never came up top, he stayed just over the edge. Very similar to this deer in that he always had the wind either to his back or was on the leeward side of the ridge. Similarly, I find tons of bedding around drainage's and just as much on points. The points in this spot are definitely doe bedding, now im wondering if the bedding around the drainages in actually buck bedding.

Sorry, I didnt even take a crack at your question. Unfortunately I have very little experience with hill country where Ag is a factor. Most of the bucks I see have drawn out patterns that span multiple mountains and typically have a "weekly schedule", especially this time of year.

Any and all input is appreciated. I will post my experiences on this as the weekends roll on. There are actually 4 distinct large points on this property. Oddly, none of them last year, had any large rubs or other sign of a large buck being present other than large tracks and large beds. All of the rubs and scrapes tend to be close to the roads, less than 100 yards or so from any road. I attribute most of all of this to night time activity although I did take a big one one afternoon on his way to a specific tree that had scrapes encircling the entire tree, a pear tree. Almost like a horny guy going to a bar. Have never found sign like that before or since.

Like I said, I think my next hunt, wind permitting, will be further in to see what I missed at dark and then back up. I have to think the largest buck, if there is one, would bed where he is protected by the does. Unfortunately, EHD has taken a toll on the older bucks around here.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”