Calling success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Calling success

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:41 pm

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:Boy I tell you what when you’re walking through the woods and some guy starts calling at you and you give a couple deep mouth grunts back... :lol: :lol: then he starts calling like no other. Oh what fun.

Yeah, probably not recommended during the firearm season. Someone could think you’re da Tirty pointer :think:

:lol: :lol:

218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:05 pm

I really don’t ever blindly call so I can’t speak for that. When bow hunting I call at everything out of range to attempt to get it in range. I’d say it works about 1/3 to a 1/4 of the time. I had a hot streak last week when I called in a crew of 3 lead by a mature doe (I was able to connect on one of those), two days later I convinced a young doe to come by which I promptly missed, and then the next day I got the attention of two mature bucks and got them to within range but no shot attempt materialized. It may have something to do with the time of the year. Over the weekend I called at four different groups of deer and zero paid any attention and two walked with their tails up. After my 0-4 weekend I told a buddy what was I thinking but I may give it a whirl again this weekend. I’m due for success, right. Usually their younger deer but realistically I think a lot of deer have a strong sense of curiosity.
Persistence is undefeated.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:44 am

I was watching thp last night and aa-Ron was recording two bucks fighting. What I noticed from that fight is that I could hear the leaves and branches snapping AND the bucks’ heavy breathing almost as good as I could hear the antlers banging.
I’ve only witnessed one mature buck knock down drag out fight while hunting. Thp and my own experience tells me that if i rattle I should be on the ground making a bunch of other noise too.
I’m thinking about doing this at my place up north this weekend. Low pressure public land. I’ll Try to but my but up against a big or some type of down wind barrier and the make a bunch of noise. It’s worth a shot.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 am

I did a lot of calling when I first started hunting. I'd say success was low like 10% of the time it worked.

Now I only have one rule: No calling unless I see something to call to first. That means no blind calling/rattling/etc. Eyes on animal, then call.

I also like to grunt 'away' from the animal and not point the tube right at it and hit it like i'm trying to shoot a blowdart at it. Have had very good success (50%) or better grunting in deer this way but ONLY if I see them first!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:53 am

Hunted some heavily pressured public this morning for an hour or so before work. Leaned against a tree in a transition off an oak flat between bedding, not far from access. Did some gentle blind calling in the first 10 minutes and then kicked all the leaves from my feet, loudly. Had a buck within 40 yards grunting back immediately. Too thick to get tell if it was a shooter. I've always been hesitant to call or make any noise, but I've had bucks come in within minutes of getting to ground setup and kicking the leaves away during late bow and gun. Most of the time I try to stay quiet and almost never blind call, but I think when you may have made some noise walking in, it doesn't hurt to do a short gentle call sequence. If a deer heard you walk in and didn't run away the call sequence may convince it that you are just another deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”